New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Hooking up to receiver

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JoshC1990

JoshC1990 is on a distinguished road

I was wondering if there was another way to hook up a macbook pro to a home theater receiver other than the head phone jack?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1990 View Post
I was wondering if there was another way to hook up a macbook pro to a home theater receiver other than the head phone jack?
Wirelessley via Apple TV2. If your AVR has HDMI inputs then the video should pass through the output to the TV and the audio through your speaker set-up.

ATV2 supports DD 5.1 so although movies are 720p max which is fine, the audio is more than comfortable.
I just have the music on the amp set to Stereo because I have satellites and a sub and Direct mode won't cut it.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Airport Express too, via wi-fi once again. This is a very good way if you have no desire for the ATV and it's extra video capabilities.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Airport Express too, via wi-fi once again. This is a very good way if you have no desire for the ATV and it's extra video capabilities.
Morning Kev,
Since I got my ATV2 working I can't stop blethering on about it

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Just checking, you probably know this anyway, but the headphone jack has digital optical out as well as analogue stereo.

Not sure if you wanted to specifically avoid using that physically connection or that you wanted 5.1 audio etc.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
JoshC1990

I would like to have 5.1 but I don't know what all the outputs on the 13" macbook pro can do. I don't have an ATV2 or Airport Express.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
I would like to have 5.1 but I don't know what all the outputs on the 13" macbook pro can do. I don't have an ATV2 or Airport Express.
Hi,
Have you got a wireless network set-up at home..because you won't really need those ports for streaming video,movies and music wirelessly from iTunes?

Can you also confirm what make and model of AVR (your receiver) you have please?

QUOTE Thanks
JoshC1990

I have a 26" Vizio LCD, 13" macbook pro (2009) a Net gear dual band router. And a Yamaha HTR-3064, it came in the YHT-396BL package. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Ok thanks,

Your Receiver is pretty well specified with inputs so you have a few options.

If you want a basic 5.1 audio set-up whilst watching a DVD on you MBP then I would suggest a mini-TOSLINK or optical mini to TOSLINK cable between the 3,5mm jack that mrplow mentioned on your MBP and one of the optical inputs e.g the AV1 or AV4 inputs on the receiver.

Your MBP should automatically detect that you have plugged this cable into it and changes the name of the output to "Digital Out" in your sound preferences . You must choose the 'Digital Output' in the Mac DVD player and choose the correct source on your receiver also for it to work.

Because you are blessed with 4 HDMI inputs, if you had an ATV2 then one HDMI cable from that to a spare input on the amp would be all you needed for Video passthrough to your TV and 5.1 Audio through the system. This option would be wireless ,with your Mac streaming content over your local network and the ATV2 to your AV set-up.

There are other ways but these are reasonable options for you to have a think about initially I guess.

QUOTE Thanks
JoshC1990

thank you. the Mini-toslink seems like the way to go. I would really just like to play music from my computer on my receiver. I have a BD player for movies.
QUOTE Thanks
JoshC1990

One more question. If I get the Toslink to optical mini cable, would I need an adapter to plug into the head phone jack?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
thank you. the Mini-toslink seems like the way to go. I would really just like to play music from my computer on my receiver. I have a BD player for movies.
Cool. I listen to my music over the ATV2 and output in Stereo. I too have all the separates but the ATV2 has saved me getting my backside off the couch a few times

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
One more question. If I get the Toslink to optical mini cable, would I need an adapter to plug into the head phone jack?
You can get either a mini-Toslink to Toslink cable or a straight through Toslink to Toslink with an adaptor which would be a female Toslink to male mini-Toslink plug.

I'll send a link on.

Edit http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tv...les/op=eq.html
Link is UK but you get the general idea

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Or this one for the States maybe?
Amazon.com: 6ft Toslink to Mini Toslink Cable: Electronics

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

If you're in the states, another option is monoprice. I've been running this same cable for several years. Either way, shipping will cost more than the cable.

For only $2.03 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6ft Toslink to Mini M/M 5.0mm OD Molded Cable | Toslink to Mini Plug

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook to TV Display Issues | MacBook Air - HDMI out causes excessive heat/fan issues, DVI is fine »