New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Which MacBook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

spikeyfish2

spikeyfish2 is on a distinguished road

I currently have an iMac i3 (Late-2010). I'm planning on keeping this at home when I go to uni later this year, and buying a MacBook Pro to take with me.

We have a white MacBook in the house, but when it's in use after some time the fans get really loud - is this issue on the aluminium MacBooks?

Anyway, I've got two choices:

13 inch 2.4GHz i5 or 13 inch 2.8GHz i7.

Budget allows for both options, but I'm wondering whether the speed increase is sufficient enough to justify the 300 difference. Obviously uni work doesn't require much speed - word documents etc I assume. However, I'll be continuing iPhone development while I'm studying, so It'll need to run things like Photoshop and Xcode pretty quickly.

Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
Woojun912

Woojun912 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro (Late 2011), 2.4 Ghz Intel Core i5, 4GB, 500GB. Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2

My mother bought me the 13 inch 2.4 i5 model on the 24th of this month. I'm going into uni as well this year. Pre-med student here. I don't know much about macs nor the difference when it comes to the specs bc this is my first macbook pro. All I can say is I love mine. I wrote here to just simply tell you congrats n your uni.

13" MacBook Pro Late 2011 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5. 4GB. 1333 MHz DDR3 OSX 10.7.2.
iPhone 4; Black; 16GB; AT&T
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeyfish2 View Post
I currently have an iMac i3 (Late-2010). I'm planning on keeping this at home when I go to uni later this year, and buying a MacBook Pro to take with me.

We have a white MacBook in the house, but when it's in use after some time the fans get really loud - is this issue on the aluminium MacBooks?

Anyway, I've got two choices:

13 inch 2.4GHz i5 or 13 inch 2.8GHz i7.

Budget allows for both options, but I'm wondering whether the speed increase is sufficient enough to justify the 300 difference. Obviously uni work doesn't require much speed - word documents etc I assume. However, I'll be continuing iPhone development while I'm studying, so It'll need to run things like Photoshop and Xcode pretty quickly.

Any thoughts?
Both the i5 and the i7 will do what you want. Obviously the i7 will be faster, but it's really up to you if you want to spend the extra money.

Not sure about the fan issue, but I've heard that the aluminum MacBooks actually run cooler than the older white ones.

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual Monitor Support | Issuses with trackpad »