New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

macbook pro charging problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scarfaced_fox

scarfaced_fox is on a distinguished road

hi there

i have a problem with a macbook pro 13" (mid 2011) model macbook
the problem with it is that when the laptop is switched off the laptop charges fine
but if the laptop is on after a minute or 2 the magsafe connector led starts either rapidly flashing orange or green

things i have tried already

reset PRAM
reset SMC
tried multiple chargers all do the same

thanks in advance for any help
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

A Mid MacBook Pro 2011 should still be under warranty. Make an appointment with Apple and get it repaired. And, if you have not already purchased Apple care, you might consider doing so.
QUOTE Thanks
scarfaced_fox

sorry just realised that i entered in the wrong year it is actually a mid 2010
also the apple care/warranty it had on it has all expired

so is it still possible to get more apple care for it and if so because i wasnt the one who purchased it off apple i got it off ebay for $300 sometime last year

and the laptop has been opened previously by a non apple certified professional
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

No, that machine is no longer eligible for Apple care. And if you purchased it a year ago off eBay for $300, you got a bargain at the time. As for the charging problem, it could be caused by faulty charging circuitry. In other words the logic that controls the charge - recharge, when to shut the charging circuit down, etc. I'm assuming from your previous post that the machine works OK when it's running off AC?
QUOTE Thanks
scarfaced_fox

yes it runs fine but only if the battery is fully charged otherwise the problem happens and it runs off the battery till the laptop has been turned off

also i did get a bargin as the laptop was listed as "broken" but all it required was a hdd and some ddr3 ram lol

and if the charging circuit is faulty is it possible to replace/fix or would the motherboard need replacing?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Try a different adapter.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
scarfaced_fox

Thanks everone for your help i have now tried 4 other adapters all do the same thing
i think this is just an annoying problem that i will have to live with
and thanks again for your assistance with my problem
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Students locked me out file vault and key commands at startup | MacBook pro freezes on startup »