New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Advice Needed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Matt J

Matt J is on a distinguished road

I'm relatively new to the Mac game and my HDD on my Mid '09 Macbook Pro has gone kaput. I am wondering which HDD to buy to replace it. Do I need one that is already formatted for use with OS X? Or can I literally just buy any SATA 2.5" HDD and throw it in?

I would be extremely grateful for any help on this matter. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt J View Post
Or can I literally just buy any SATA 2.5" HDD and throw it in?
This is pretty much all you have to do:

- buy an HD from a reputable manufacturer
- install it
- format the HD for use on a Mac (if it is not already formatted)
- then install the Mac OS (10.6 or 10.7 I would assume for you)

Check these guys out:

OWC

...they're pretty good.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Matt J

How do I go about formatting it for Mac? Where can I find "Mac Ready" internal HDDs?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How do I go about formatting it for Mac? Where can I find "Mac Ready" internal HDDs?
You don't really find "Mac-Ready" hard drives...they're just about all "Mac-Ready"...you just have to format it to use in a Mac. To do this you need:

- A bootable disk (DVD) such as an OS install disk (which you "boot" the computer from)
- Then you open "Disk Utility" to format the HD to "Mac OS Extended-Journeled".
- Then you quit Disk Utility & proceed with the OS install

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Gh0st

Gh0st is on a distinguished road

If, for one reason or another, you plan on upgrading to Lion, you'll need a copy of the InstallESD.dmg burnt to a cd. Otherwise they'll just try to get you to upgrade OTA or using a flash drive from one of their Apple stores. Just as a heads up.
I had to pop a new HDD in my 2011 Macbook Pro about a month ago.
QUOTE Thanks
Matt J

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
You don't really find "Mac-Ready" hard drives...they're just about all "Mac-Ready"...you just have to format it to use in a Mac. To do this you need:

- A bootable disk (DVD) such as an OS install disk (which you "boot" the computer from)
- Then you open "Disk Utility" to format the HD to "Mac OS Extended-Journeled".
- Then you quit Disk Utility & proceed with the OS install

- Nick
Thanks, this seems pretty straightforward. One more thing though; I placed my PS3 HDD into my MBP, just to make sure it was my original HDD that was the problem. When I installed the HDD from the PS3, I couldn't even get it to boot.

Is this because the drive is in a format my MBP isn't recognizing? Now, I'm thinking maybe I have a different hardware problem...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:

Is this because the drive is in a format my MBP isn't recognizing?
Exactly! In most cases you can't just swap HD's from one device to another like that...there are hard drive format issues to deal with.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Matt J

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Exactly! In most cases you can't just swap HD's from one device to another like that...there are hard drive format issues to deal with.

- Nick
Sweet! Thanks again Nick. I really hope to be back online with my Mac soon
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did you have the OSX DVD in the drive and hold C till it started to boot? Macs do not boot from Sony PS3 OS!

What were the symptoms of the hard drive dying?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Sweet! Thanks again Nick. I really hope to be back online with my Mac soon
If you had an extra 2.5" working HD laying around...and you had the proper Mac OS install disk to boot from to do the HD formatting...then this would be a great way to troubleshoot the problem.

Otherwise...you have to purchase an HD (and have the proper OS disk) to create a bootable HD to insure the old HD is bad. Using the PS3 HD was a great idea...except I'm thinking that you don't want to reformat it for your Mac...otherwise it won't work in your PS3.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Matt J

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Did you have the OSX DVD in the drive and hold C till it started to boot? Macs do not boot from Sony PS3 OS!

When I tried starting up my MBP, I came to a grey screen with a "?" folder. I tried running Disk Utility to verify and repair but I received an improper node error on b tree. Or...something to that effect.
QUOTE Thanks
Matt J

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post

Oh, and no I didn't hold C, or if I did, nothing happened.
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

19birel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz i5 13" MBP antiglare 16gb RAM 500gb HD OSX 10.8.x

You just need your install disks and you'll be fine with almost any HDD. I took the Seagate Momentus HDD from my dad's ThinkPad, installed it, and after booting the OSX install disks had it running my OS in no time. Just hold the C key when trying to boot so it boots from the disk.

I MISS SNOW LEOPARD ;(
QUOTE Thanks
Matt J

Well, I finally bought a new drive, installed it, and now more trouble. When I come to the screen to "Select a Destination" to install OS X on my new drive, my drive isn't listed. If I run disk utility, it recognizes the drive. What am I doing wrong here?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

run Disk Utility and Partition or Erase the Drive! Mac OSX Extended Journalized. I do a partition and select one then under advanced be SURE GUID is selected of OSX will not boot.

Then it should show up in the installer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro 15 screen issue | Macbook Pro won't re-start »