Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   I could really use some opinions on a prospective trade. (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/264943-i-could-really-use-some-opinions-prospective-trade.html)

mdbat 01-26-2012 06:44 PM

I could really use some opinions on a prospective trade.
 
I have my MacBook Pro (Early 2011 15" - MC721LL/A - MacBookPro8,2) up for sale on CL because I wanted to buy the newer version which has the 2.2GHz processor.

I have had it up for sale for awhile now and dropped the price to the point where I just want to keep it. I do have a person who wants to do a straight up trade with me for his MacBook Air (Mid-2011 - BTO/CTO - MacBookAir4,2) This is the MC965LL/A but with the 1.8GHz processor versus the 1.7. He says it's brand new and has three years of Apple care on it (Which I confirmed).

I use my MacBook for my everyday laptop, to sync all my iDevices, photoshop for iPhone theming, picture editing and some video editing. Honestly I edit very little video but encode a lot but I use my PC desktop for that. Are there things that this MacBook Air cannot do that my current laptop can?

I do not game on my MacBook though I would if there something compelling for me to play. Can one play games on the MacBook Air? Will I have to keep most of my music on an external HD? Is this going to be a hassle as far dealing iTunes libraries?

I guess I am just scared that if I trade it I will regret having 500GB of space and being able to do most anything a desktop can.

I value any input. This guy wants to trade tonight or tomorrow. What should I do.....:P

pigoo3 01-26-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdbat (Post 1361629)
I do have a person who wants to do a straight up trade with me for his MacBook Air (Mid-2011 - BTO/CTO - MacBookAir4,2) This is the MC965LL/A but with the 1.8GHz processor versus the 1.7. He says it's brand new and has three years of Apple care on it (Which I confirmed).

The CTO/BTO 13" 1.8ghz MacBook Air currently sells for $1699...the 15" Early 2011 MacBook Pro 2.0ghz i7 is currently selling at the Apple Store (refurbished) for $1359:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel i7 - Apple Store (U.S.)

So it would seem (from a "price tag" point of view) that the MacBook Air would be the better deal.:)

- Nick

mdbat 01-26-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1361647)
The CTO/BTO 13" 1.8ghz MacBook Air currently sells for $1699...the 15" Early 2011 MacBook Pro 2.0ghz i7 is currently selling at the Apple Store (refurbished) for $1359:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel i7 - Apple Store (U.S.)

So it would seem (from a "price tag" point of view) that the MacBook Air would be the better deal.:)

- Nick

Oh, there is no doubt that part at all. I know what they are selling for. I guess I was/am just worried about losing functionality. I wouldnt know how to set up the new MacBook Air as it has a 256GB HD and mine a 500GB with only 100GB left. I am used to just putting my new computer next to my old one and transferring the data or using time machine. I would have to use time machine in this case but I wouldnt know how to do that due to the size of the back-up etc.

I am so conflicted! Thanks for the reply though. Is it hard to keep my iTunes my library on an external HD and still sync my phones and ipads with my computer?

dtravis7 01-26-2012 08:38 PM

If it were ME, I would keep the MBP. Better video chipset, larger internal drives, more ports.

mdbat 01-27-2012 11:31 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I am still up in the air and have to decide by tonight. I am leaning towards keeping what I have though :)

pigoo3 01-27-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdbat (Post 1361987)
Thanks for the replies guys. I am still up in the air and have to decide by tonight. I am leaning towards keeping what I have though :)

Personally I would keep the MacBook Pro as well. The MacBook Air's are nice...but they have their limitations (can't upgrade the ram, can't upgrade the storage, and no DVD drive). If I had to choose between a MacBook Pro & a MacBook Air...I would choose the MacBook Pro every time (similar vintages). If I could have both...then I would take one of each!;)

I also prefer the larger display of the MacBook Pro (15" in your case)...versus the 13" MacBook Air.

But that's just me:)...other folks would snap up a MacBook Air immediately.;)

- Nick

Mightyquin 01-27-2012 01:06 PM

From a layman's point of view I'd keep the MacBook. I was considering buying a new Apple laptop recently and looked at all options. I saw some good deals on the Air but unless you intend to carry the thing around a lot and want to save weight/space, I don't see why you would choose it over the MBP.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.