New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

external mac drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

patapouf

patapouf is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone,

quick question,

after my MBP crash, i got a macbook 13". What the shop did was taking the hard drive from MBP into macbook, which work fine, now i have a spare hard drive (macbook 13") i got an enclosure so i could use it as an external drive, but when i connect to mac, the drive power up but doesn't show at all, also try on a PC and same thing, doesn't show. Any reason or could it be the enclosure fault ?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Does it show in disk utility?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
dauber

dauber is a jewel in the roughdauber is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04

Doubt it would be the enclosure causing the problem, unless maybe the data cable in the enclosure itself isn't fully connected...

Do you have one of those IDE/SATA-to-USB adapter kits?? That's a way you can check for sure...basically, you use the kit to connect the bare drive to the USB port directly without an enclosure. You can get those things at places like MicroCenter for like nine bucks. Very worthwhile investment, especially if you're a computer tech.
QUOTE Thanks
patapouf

doesn't show under utility

i don't have one of those adapter kits.

I have a WD external drive, which work fine, its not mac formatted as always been use on PC, but work no problem.
QUOTE Thanks
patapouf

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

this is the enclosure i am talking about.
QUOTE Thanks
applebanana

applebanana is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD

Perhaps it needs power? Some enclosures have a dc input at the back. COuldn't see if yours did. Alternatively there are those usb cords that take up two ports, supplying power.

Help your fellow forum members out and use the Reputation system EH?
iPhone 4s 16GB MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz 13" Uni/Late 09 8GB RAM 120GB SSD in Superdrive Bay 500GB 7200RPM HDD in Main Bay
The Internets longest running Drummer's Forum!!
QUOTE Thanks
patapouf

thanks,

but like i said i the beginning, it as power, led is on, disc is spinning.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro 17 Inch, 1st Gen Intel Compatiability, in need of repair. Help please! | Reformatting and Reinstall problems on older macbook »