New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Time to upgrade to MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mr.C

Mr.C is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

My PB G4 has served me very well for a long time now but it's time for me to upgrade from the PPC processors for obvious reasons. There's mothing wrong with it, it's a little slow at times but the screen is perfect, keyboard is fully functioning and the Alu shell is still in good shape.

Unfortunately, this time round I don't have the reddies to go straight to the apple site and spec up a new machine with all the goodies so i'm hoping you can help me with a question.

For my purposes, a Core 2 will suffice (as long as apple don't have any plans to switch and completely stop supporting intel machines overnight). I'm not fussed about a unibody (would be nice though) but i'm seeing an opportunity in the older MBP with the same shell as my 2004 PowerBook A1046;

Is it possible that I could buy this:
APPLE MACBOOK PRO A1150 FOR SPARES OR REPAIR | eBay

.. and replace the screen and keyboard with the one from mine?

Any help appreciated!!

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Parts from your Powerbook G4 are not compatible with what's needed to repair the MacBook Pro. Save your money.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr.C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Parts from your Powerbook G4 are not compatible with what's needed to repair the MacBook Pro.
Thought that may have been the case with screen upgrades and obviously the mountings inside the alu shell but i'm surprised that the connections are different?. Is there anywhere where I can compare the specs to this level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Save your money.
Haha, living in London? easier said than done my friend!

I might have to bite the bullet and buy 2nd hand on installments. Thing is, I'm aware of how fickle the Apple community has become over the last few years and there is often some fantastic opportunities to be had with those just wanting rid of theirs because "it no longer turns on" or "it's got a scratch" or "it's not the latest model". I've had my PB in bits so many times i'm fairly confident when it comes to using a hammer and chisel.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr.C

Sorry, you dont need to answer that: MacBook Pro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
there is a world of difference!!

So people, if you were looking to buy 2nd hand or refurb'd... how would you go bout securing the best deals?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cricket Noise, and both Fans out?? | PowerBook 1.5GHz Question »