New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook display randomly blacks out (backlight problem)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mbmsv

mbmsv is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

The display on this MacBook (not Pro) randomly blacks out. Seems to be related to warming up. After the computer powers up it takes a few minutes before it blacks out first time. After it has happened I can bring it back by first decreasing brightness to 0 and then by increasing it back. Sometimes I need to wait for a few seconds before it can work. I searched internet and tried some repair/diagnostics. I changed the inverter board (got it supposedly new from ebay), but it didn't help. I have also checked that it works fine with an external monitor. So, does it mean that I need to replace the LCD panel? Or is there a way to replace just the backlight?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Stalak

Stalak is on a distinguished road

mbmsv describes exactly the problem I was having. My backlight problem was not related to movement of the screen. It was somehow related to load/heat, specifically if I had a few browser tabs open and then started watching Netflix. Then I would lose the backlight and only get it back briefly by reducing and then increasing screen brightness, or by shutting down Netflix. This is what I did:

I removed both of the inside (closest to the hinge) screws in the rear end of the unit. I think that over tightening these screws is causing this particular problem. I have a feeling that it is the left side (right side if facing the machine) specifically but have been too relieved to figure out which one for sure as yet. I will experiment later to determine wich screw.

The only other things I also did was to reset the NVRAM by holding down the power button for 5 secs with no power. I also did not replace the battery, which is dead anyway. I doubt very much that either of those had any effect.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best memory for 08' MacBook? | loopback 127.0.0.1? »