New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Powerbook - Stolen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

neutrino

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm not sure what to do and I am very sad. I've been keeping track of listings on eBay and Craigslist, I also called apple for my serial # in case I manage to find it at a pawn shop or something - any other advice? I know this isn't a technical question, but boy I could use some help trying to get it back. It was less than 3 months old. :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
iNAP

iNAP has a spectacular aura about

That bites I see your located in Ma., so am I, I'll keep my ears open for any being passed around in my area.

www.idadgraphics.com
I started using PS from finding this forum and all the help I have gotten here thru the years is immeasurable
thank you MacForums and all it's members
QUOTE Thanks
neutrino

Thanks iNap!
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

If you find the person who stole it, pound them with a brick! Seriously, how low do people have to be to steal people's stuff? I mean, I know Mac's aren't the cheapest computers to own, but I know each and every Mac user has worked their tail off to get theirs! I know I did! Did you go to the police at all, by any chance? Good luck with the search.
QUOTE Thanks
neutrino

I know! It's really upsetting. My powerbook was actually worth more than my car, it was definitely the most expensive thing that I own(ed).
I did file a police report, and they gave me the idea of checking local pawn shops - whcih I wouldn't have thought of, I would have just gone right to the internet (which I did anyway)...
I'm really hoping to track it down!
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Sorry. It is unfortunate we have those kind of people in this world. The ones with no morals and conscience at all. :mad: :radioacti
QUOTE Thanks
neutrino

For those of you with unstolen PB's I just found a neat way to theoretically track it if it was stolen:

http://chris2x.com/C600416119/E2050228317/

I've also seen recommendations of PW protecting your HD, as that significantly lowers the re-sale potential of the laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Thanks, that could be very helpful to everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
hojkoff_101

hojkoff_101 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM

Man thats awful hear about your laptop. Im really sorry to hear that actually neye:. I just go one and Im currently guarding it like a fat kid with cookies.

I just read that article that that like is to. Could this forum not do set something up like that. And charge everyone to use it to pay for the bandwidth costs? I'd be willing to pay to help secure my PowerBook. Im sure alot of others would to.
QUOTE Thanks
Biturbo V12 AMG

I hope you had it insured? that was the first thing that i had done to my powerbook then if it gets stolen atleast i will get some money to replace it. i am sorry for your loss but it seems like you are doing the samethings i would be doing checking ebay out also check your local newspapers.
QUOTE Thanks
neutrino

I do have it insured - that's the one ounce of protection that I put into it - now that it's been taken I've realized there's a lot more I could have done - passwording the harddrive, locking it to things, and the tracking method mentioned above - all of which I will certainly do with my next one.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino
I do have it insured - that's the one ounce of protection that I put into it - now that it's been taken I've realized there's a lot more I could have done - passwording the harddrive, locking it to things, and the tracking method mentioned above - all of which I will certainly do with my next one.

sorry to hear about your loss... theres always the chance that the theif is happily keeping your powerbook becuase it is an awesome computer... atleast you had insurance! now you can get one with the brighter screen. good luck to you
QUOTE Thanks
muchisgiven2u

muchisgiven2u is on a distinguished road

Man my powerbook got stolen in a trade...I contacted the person, we spoke on the phone...agreed to do everything...as soon as I shipped my book. I called the person back to get the tracking number, I get messages like the persons mailbox is full. I send emails and get no response, the person doesn't come online or anything like that. It's almost like they totally fell off the face of the earth. I'm in the process of filing a police report, and this is definitely the last trade that I ever do.
QUOTE Thanks
Biturbo V12 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino

Passwords are a MUST for laptops the main thing they do is protect your data you have on your computer since the only way to bypass the password is to do a clean install. think about all that is on your computer my computer has my ebay password stored my amazon account stored ext. locking it to something is a good idea but its best to have your computer with you or hide it. cuse someone will come along and just rip the lock or just lift a leg up on the table its locked to, or just cut the cable.
QUOTE Thanks
johninc

johninc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200

ah man Sorry to here about that.....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook Screen Size | Rubber boot popped off ibook »