New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Upgrading RAM on Macbook Pro 2008

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tango

Tango is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I read this on the Apple site, which pertains to my model: MacBook Pro: How to remove or install memory

This has me sort of confused, it says DDR3 there, but then below it says DDR2 - does this mean that I can put DDR3 successfully, or not?

Do I need to use SODIMM RAM?

In either case, where is a reliable source of inexpensive, compatible RAM?
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

Some of the MBPs cam with DDR2 and some with DDR3. These memory types are NOT COMPATIBLE.

Best place to double check is by clicking on the Apple Logo in the upper left and then clicking "About This Mac"

That will tell you the type of memory that you have, and need. A few great vendors are NewEgg and OWC.

Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

According to Mactracker

Early 2008 Macbook Pro
2 - 200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM

Late 2008 Macbook Pro
2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

OWC's utility is excellent at detecting the type of RAM you have btw.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

His title says 2008. Looking at Apple's site, some of the 2008's came with DDR2 and others with DDR3
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stormin View Post
His title says 2008. Looking at Apple's site, some of the 2008's came with DDR2 and others with DDR3
Indeed. Hence why I listed both vintages from 2008

mike
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

Reread your post...

Quote:
According to Mactracker

Early 2011 Macbook Pro
2 - 200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM

Late 2011 Macbook Pro
2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

OWC's utility is excellent at detecting the type of RAM you have btw.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stormin View Post
Reread your post...
lol Ok, I typed 2011 out of habit. Let me correct.

btw, in case you're wondering.. 2011 is all 204-pin PC-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

mike
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

No worries. I keep using 2011 everywhere, even at work. It's been frustrating...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« startup troubleshooting | Powerbook G4 HD install into a G5 Tower??? »