New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Air HD upgrade?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ofdw

ofdw is on a distinguished road

I have an MBA getting on for 3 years old with an 80GB hard drive. Apple tell me it isn't possible (at least not through Apple!) to upgrade to a bigger hard drive. Does anyone have experience of doing this and could you advise me on what potential difficulties are?
I am not the sort of person who can tinker and do jobs like this myself: I would be looking to pay a professional to do it properly! If Apple won't do it, do you know who can?
I am currently saving space by transferring big files (iphoto library and itunes library) to an external HD attached to an airport extreme - but this is not without its own problems so I would prefer to upgrade if possible!
Thanks for any advice.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

MBA's have been around since 2008...there have been 14 different models...and here have been some significant changes along the way. So it would REALLY help if you told us exactly which model MBA you have.

Since you mentioned having your MBA for 3 years...I'm assuming you have one of the older models.

Thanks,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ofdw

Sure - thought I would start with a general enquiry! But I take your point...
Here's what it says on the box:
Model no A1237
1.6GHz Intel Core duo
2GB DDR2 SDRAM
80GB 4200-rpm hard drive
13.3 inch screen
Described as "original" so I think it was indeed the first model in 2008.

That seems to be the crucial information - have I missed anything important that would be useful to know?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofdw View Post
Sure - thought I would start with a general enquiry!
No need to start out "slow"...give it to us all at once! Here ya go...this should help:

How do you replace or upgrade the hard drive in the original, "Late 2008" and "Mid-2009" MacBook Air.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
ofdw

Thank you! Looks worth pursuing - though I will definitely go down the professional installation route...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Thank you! Looks worth pursuing - though I will definitely go down the professional installation route...
You're welcome!

This may cost you a lot more than you think...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

That video comparing boot times is INSANE!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stormin View Post
That video comparing boot times is INSANE!
Yeah...I viewed that as well recently. Certainly a great way to visually explain the advantages of an SSD.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
ofdw

Well - maybe I'll see how much they quote - and if it's too much I'll put the money towards a new MBA!
I also wonder about upgrading the RAM - maybe cheaper?
Thanks for your advice anyway - appreciated.
Oliver
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I also wonder about upgrading the RAM - maybe cheaper?
This is easier to answer...you can't upgrade the ram on the MacBook Air. This is one of the disadvantages of the MBA...you have to decide on the ram when you purchase it...then you got what you got!

- Nick

p.s. Actually with the original MBA...they only came with 2 gig of ram (non-upgradeable).

QUOTE Thanks
ofdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
You're welcome!

This may cost you a lot more than you think...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Good luck,

- Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
This is easier to answer...you can't upgrade the ram on the MacBook Air. This is one of the disadvantages of the MBA...you have to decide on the ram when you purchase it...then you got what you got!

- Nick

p.s. Actually with the original MBA...they only came with 2 gig of ram (non-upgradeable).
Ah - OK that narrows my options! But I was impressed with that video so will look at the HD situation and see if it's worth it. Thanks for all the advice!
Oliver
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

If you are tempted by SSD, to me you should really consider the below

Refurbished MacBook Air 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)

13 in MBA w/4 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD, $1099 refurb from Apple.

A 128 GB SSD alone will set you back $250 (before paying for install).

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
ofdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
If you are tempted by SSD, to me you should really consider the below

Refurbished MacBook Air 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)

13 in MBA w/4 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD, $1099 refurb from Apple.

A 128 GB SSD alone will set you back $250 (before paying for install).
OK that's interesting: though one of my issues is simply the size of the HD so if I'm going to spend money on the problem, I'd want more than 128GB really... but it does show that maybe my money might be better put towards a new machine!
Thanks for the tip.
Oliver
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can MacBook Pro overcharge? | Found 2 (13 inch) Macbook Pros »