New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro Memory Update worth it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gaz1man

gaz1man is on a distinguished road

I have a mid 2010 macbook pro 13 inch, 2.4 GHz core 2 duo currently with 4gb ram and running loin.

I often have several applications open in fullscreen mode; iTunes, mail, safari + lots of tabs, with no problem at all. More recently i have started to use iMovie, aperture also and i have noticed that everything slows down.. i know this is obviously because cpu and memory are being used up, but what i want to know is will i notice a considerable difference in performance when running these applications along with everything else if i update to 8gb? or is it the processor which is limiting me?

I have roughly 40-50gb space remaining on my 500gb hdd thanks in advance
Gaz
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Yes, you should notice a difference for two reasons:

1. 8 GB of system memory means your integrated graphics chipset (Intel HD 3000) will be able to borrow up to 512MB rather than the normal 256MB.

2. More system memory = better performance for games and other CPU intensive applications.
QUOTE Thanks
gaz1man

ok thanks its only about 30 these days so il get onto it..
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz1man View Post

I have roughly 40-50gb space remaining on my 500gb hdd thanks in advance
Gaz
You might want to keep an eye on this. Your HD is 90%+ full...let the HD get too full...and things will begin to slow down. Let the HD get completely full...and you won't be able to use the computer.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
gaz1man

yeh i have done this in the past... not keeping an eye on my downloads etc. especially since the remaining disk space is no longer at the bottom of the finder windows. iv started to use isat pro widget now to keep an eye on things, i would recommend it.
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

Memory is like money... If you have no problem getting it (LEGALLY ) then you can never have "to much of it."
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz1man View Post
. . . especially since the remaining disk space is no longer at the bottom of the finder windows. iv started to use isat pro widget now to keep an eye on things, i would recommend it.
That is a great widget but if you prefer to have drive space at the bottom of the Finder window you can still do that easily. Open a Finder window, go to the View menu and choose Show Status Bar (Command+/).

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
microsnook

microsnook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13" 10.8 (latest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Yes, you should notice a difference for two reasons:

1. 8 GB of system memory means your integrated graphics chipset (Intel HD 3000) will be able to borrow up to 512MB rather than the normal 256MB.

2. More system memory = better performance for games and other CPU intensive applications.
Thanks for that!
QUOTE Thanks
dmccloud

dmccloud has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

I bumped up my 13" MBP from 4GB to 8GB and it made a big difference in speed. It's definitely worth the $$ for the upgrade.

-------------------------------------------------
15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Core i7 | 16GB | 1TB SSD | OS X Mavericks 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
ShoG

ShoG is on a distinguished road

Yea, more ram is so cheap these days and the ease of installing the new sticks is so simple. It's a great way of getting more out of your machine. I bought my first notebook ever in Nov (mbp) and went the owc route for 50usd (a bit more $), best $50 upgrade.

Not only will you gain extra multi-tasking performance, but your hd3000 graphics memory increases to 512mb from 384mb when going from 4gb->8gb of system ram.
QUOTE Thanks
gaz1man

sweet il definitely get onto it then.. is there anything else i can do to improve performance? might be a stupid question but its worth a shot..
QUOTE Thanks
ShoG

Im pretty new to the osx and macs since I got mine in November but you can turn off animations when opening and minimizing windows and apps.

Repairing disk permissions using disk utility, set the dock to 2d w/o bouncing animation (I like this a lot since they add a little dot under open apps, good for lots of dock items and seeing whats open at a glance).

Also there is an app called Onyx, I use it occasionally for clearing out logs and caches. Though Im not sure I need this app since osx takes pretty good care of itself. I used this to change the dock, it also can purge memory to free up inactive ram for you to use.

Hardware wise the only other upgrade you can do is get a faster spinning HDD or a SSD.

MBP 8,3 2.5 8 128
Lion 10.7.2
QUOTE Thanks
atyler138

atyler138 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, Mac OS X 10.5.6

Also looking at upgrading my ram from 4 to 8gb in my 2011 Macbook Pro.

Any makes to consider over other or any to avoid.?

Cheers,

Tyler

Do You Want A Kebab!!
QUOTE Thanks
ShoG

Corsair, Crucial, Samsung, G.Skill, OWC, Kingston are all great memory makers. I chose OWC and it's been great.

Komputerbay has ram kits for 16gb, the cheapest kit afaik but I have not heard of them before.

MBP 8,3 2.5 8 128
Lion 10.7.2
QUOTE Thanks
gaz1man

i have a friend who works in a mac store and he said all the guys there use crucial memory, i found some for 33 which was the best price i could find so thats what iv ordered. But i would imagine any of those above would be fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« TV hook up help | I could really use some opinions on a prospective trade. »