Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   Which Mac OS for my Macbook Pro (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/264301-mac-os-my-macbook-pro.html)

jonnyukbravo 01-21-2012 04:14 AM

Which Mac OS for my Macbook Pro

Which is the latest version of Mac OS that I can run on my MBP? It's about five years old and is currently running OS 10.5.8. It's a 2.4 Ghz Intel Core Duo with 4GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

Thanks
John

louishen 01-21-2012 07:59 AM

If its a Core Duo chip then it'll run 10.6 Snow leopard

I suspect it mat be a Core 2 Duo model, in which case it'll run the latest 10.7 Lion

Ctrl-Opt-Del 01-21-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louishen (Post 1358645)
If its a Core Duo chip then it'll run 10.6 Snow leopard

I suspect it mat be a Core 2 Duo model, in which case it'll run the latest 10.7 Lion

Note to the OP; if it is a C2D then it will be able to run 10.7, but you will need to upgrade to 10.6 Snow Leopard first, as you'll need access to the Mac App Store to download the Lion installer.

vansmith 01-21-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctrl-Opt-Del (Post 1358724)
Note to the OP; if it is a C2D then it will be able to run 10.7, but you will need to upgrade to 10.6 Snow Leopard first, as you'll need access to the Mac App Store to download the Lion installer.

Not necessarily. While that is one option, you could purchase the Lion USB drive and upgrade directly. This, of course, is contingent on having the proper processor.

Ctrl-Opt-Del 01-21-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vansmith (Post 1358726)
Not necessarily. While that is one option, you could purchase the Lion USB drive and upgrade directly.

Well, yes, technically; but the USB option is only really necessary/worthwhile if one has a poor internet connection, as the cost of the Lion installer USB stick is considerably greater than the cost of the Snow Leopard installer DVD & Lion upgrade app combined.

RavingMac 01-21-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctrl-Opt-Del (Post 1358741)
Well, yes, technically; but the USB option is only really necessary/worthwhile if one has a poor internet connection, as the cost of the Lion installer USB stick is considerably greater than the cost of the Snow Leopard installer DVD & Lion upgrade app combined.

While I would personally choose the route you mention. Unless UK prices are markedly different from US, the difference is only $11 USD. $69 vs $58

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD256

vansmith 01-21-2012 12:27 PM

I'm going to assume the OP is from the UK (the username gives it away). If that's the case, Lion is 21 and SL is 26. The Lion USB key is 55 so the difference really isn't all that great. So, true, it is cheaper to go the SL > Lion route but the straight to Lion route isn't all that much more expensive. That's not to mention that you save time while getting a "hard" copy of the OS.

Ctrl-Opt-Del 01-21-2012 12:36 PM

They've obviously changed the prices since the last time I looked, I'm pretty sure the USB stick was 69 when first released in the UK...

Still, it's good to have options ;)

cwa107 01-21-2012 06:06 PM

Thread moved to more appropriate forum. Please read before posting in Rumors & Reports.

dmccloud 01-21-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vansmith (Post 1358749)
I'm going to assume the OP is from the UK (the username gives it away). If that's the case, Lion is 21 and SL is 26. The Lion USB key is 55 so the difference really isn't all that great. So, true, it is cheaper to go the SL > Lion route but the straight to Lion route isn't all that much more expensive. That's not to mention that you save time while getting a "hard" copy of the OS.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while you can do an in-place upgrade from Leopard to SL to Lion, you might not be able to do the same going from Leopard to Lion.

Ctrl-Opt-Del 01-22-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmccloud (Post 1358956)
Another thing to keep in mind is that while you can do an in-place upgrade from Leopard to SL to Lion, you might not be able to do the same going from Leopard to Lion.

Another good point, the Lion USB stick definitely will allow for a fresh install from any version; but it may not allow an upgrade from Leopard while preserving all apps & files, where as the Snow Leopard upgrade DVD followed by Lion upgrade app will.