New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

inability to the start-up or reinstall Mac OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Martin v

Martin v is on a distinguished road

last night, my laptop crashed and was forced to restart. When I did so my computer remained on the grey start-up screen for a very long time. Then proceeded to show me a no entry sign (or a folder with question mark over it flashing). On investigation resolve this issue I discovered the reinstallation of OS X would be the most expedient manner to fix it.

Once I inserted my operating system disk and began the installation process be the disk utility or the OS X install that could detect my hard drive. So I assumed that the hard drive was at fault, I proceeded to remove it and test it in my PC. I found that I could see it the Boot Camp partition, as I expected. All the data and files were still accessible and non-corrupted. I then proceeded to reformat my drive into NTFS. So that it would be zero and hopefully recognisable to disk utility or the installer.

Once I replace the hard drive into my laptop the same result followed that I was unable to detect the hard drive with disk utility or the installer.

I'm asking whether anyone has had experience of this, or has a solution. It appears to me that my hard drive is intact and it could be an issue with my motherboard but I'm not sure.

Other information: The operating system on trying to install the Snow Leopard, on a 2009 MacBook Pro 13 inch.

Martin V
QUOTE Thanks
tummy54

tummy54 is on a distinguished road

I'm having what seems to be the same problem with 2010 Macbook pro 13. I did not try try operating disk. this is my first Mac so i'm kinda lost on what to do.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP Not Charging | My mouse is acting strange »