New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

2008 Macbook Screen - Black bar

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nick_ville

nick_ville is on a distinguished road

I have found a 2008 Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz Macbook for sale locally. It has 2 gb of ram, so I think that it might do me well for now, to try out the world of Mac computers. My worry is that there seems to be a screen issue. I have included a pic to show the issue. There is a fairly large black bar down the screen. Would a screen replacement fix this, or might it be something else?

This is apparently as the computer is turning on. What are your thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Your uploaded image did not get uploaded. However, before buying that MacBook you need to find out if it's the LCD display that's bad or the graphics controller. Attach an external monitor or TV to the MacBook and see if the picture is OK or if it still has the black bar.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

You need an adapter to plug in an external display to the Macbook. You can get one at an Apple Store or Best Buy.

Like Chscag said, if the pic is normal on an external display, it's the LCD.
QUOTE Thanks
nick_ville

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Your uploaded image did not get uploaded.
Already fixed...
QUOTE Thanks
nick_ville

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
You need an adapter to plug in an external display to the Macbook. You can get one at an Apple Store or Best Buy.

Like Chscag said, if the pic is normal on an external display, it's the LCD.
I see. If it is still on the external display, the graphic controller is the problem? That sounds like something I wouldn't want/be able to fix, correct? If it is the screen, I think that I might be able to get it working by installing a 3rd party screen, though I haven't any experience.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If it shows on External display, it's the Graphics Chip which is part of the Logic board and would cost a LOT to fix. You would need a new Logic board.

If it's the LCD, there are tutorials all over the internet and you can get one from iFixit I believe. If you do decide to purchase the machine, I will find you a take apart for it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does anyone make replacement batteries | MBP Not Charging »