New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Moving MacBook with SSD in Sleep Mode

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ursus262

ursus262 is an unknown at this point

I have a new MacBook Pro 13" with a 256GB Solid State Drive (SSD) and have a question about moving it about in the Sleep mode.

Now with a mechanical, spinning drive, I can understand the need to fully shut the laptop down to park the heads and lock the drive, thus protecting it from damage during transit.

What I'd like to do with mine, however, is to put it in my rucksac with the MacBook in sleep mode - but is it advisable and does it do any damage?

I know that SSDs have no moving parts, but I just wanted to be sure.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I move my rotational drive equipped mbp in sleep mode all the time, to be honest.

I'd worry even less with an SSD.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I agree with the above. You have very little chance of doing any damage.

Its having something like Caffeine (a App that keeps the Mac awake while the lid is shut) open and then forgetting you have it enabled when you move your MBP that damage could be done.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
ursus262

ursus262 is an unknown at this point

Thanks guys for the advice. I'm just putting it to sleep now, although every now and then, I do a complete reboot as it seems to make it run a bit faster.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PDF Image Editor | iPhoto uploader »