SSD + HDD in optibay boot issue

Unhappy SSD + HDD in optibay boot issue
    Hi, new here so hope I am not posting this in the wrong forum and hacking people off!

Today I took out my optical drive from my 2011 MBP 15" and fitted a 750Gb drive in it's place and a SATA 3 120Gb SSD into the HDD bay.. I had previously cloned my original 500Gb drive onto the 750Gb and it was working fine.

Before doing the install I put the SSD into the caddy, and following some random instructions I read on the net I used Carbon copy cloner to copy all except my User folder onto the SSD which used about 28Gb.

After the install I restarted using alt-power and chose the SSD as the start drive which was amazing, the dock populated instantly and I could open large apps like photoshop in seconds. Obviously it was not using my user account so I pointed my account to the old HDD and restarted.

After the restart I notice that the speed had slowed, I thought that might be because it was accessing the user account on the HDD, but system info tells me now that the HDD is the boot disk..

My question is (finally!) does Lion just think that it is running from the HDD because that's where my user account is, or have I missed a step to make the computer boot from the SSD by default.

Thanks for making it to the end!

Steve

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by stevegull View Post
    Obviously it was not using my user account so I pointed my account to the old HDD and restarted.

After the restart I notice that the speed had slowed, I thought that might be because it was accessing the user account on the HDD, but system info tells me now that the HDD is the boot disk..
    How did you do the above.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
    Go into settings, and change the boot disk to your SSD.

See this:
    Move Your Mac's Home Folder to a New Location

for moving your Home folder onto the data drive.

Also, formatting the SSD would be a solid idea before having installed anything on it!!!

Hope that helps

thanks
    Cheers for the replies guys, who would have thought there would be an option in a settings folder to set the boot drive!

I will get my head round this Mac thing one day all working fine now, just setting up boot camp on half the SSD

Steve

Specs:
    2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
    Hope you formatted the SSD!

Glad to hear its working. Just don't forget the option to select which drive you want to boot on

Good luck

Guess the initialisation process includes formatting the drive, cos I'm using it right now!

Steve

Thread Information