New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Migration Assistance-I don't think anything happened???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chiccaboom

chiccaboom is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I am trying to transfer my files (i.e., word documents and movies and songs downloaded from the internet, BUT NOT application or anything else) to my macbook pro. I am running snow leopard on my old computer (macbook) and my new macbook pro. I ran MA wirelessley and the transfer completed in about 1 min (which I thought was really fast...too fast). Then it said it was done.

Now I cant find any of my files on my macbook pro. I don't think anything was transferred! Also, but disk usage has stayed the same. I'm not sure what happened...

I did some research and on some forums and there is NOT another profile in my accounts which all my files have been stored under...

does anyone know what happened and if anything was transferred? Where are my files?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Try Firewire rather than wireless or put the old computer hard drive in an external case and connect via USB.

What had you selected to transfer over and if it worked wireless is much, much slower than Firewire.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Or, alternately, an ethernet cable between them and turn the wireless cards off. It's almost as fast as FW800

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
chiccaboom

I don't really have an external hard drive with me at the moment and don't have an ethernet cable. Is there any other solutions to doing this wirelessly?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Well, wireless should work. It will, however, take hours (of course dependent on what you're transferring, for instance 50 some GB of data was initially forecast at 15 hours the one time I tried it, before bailing and finding an eth cable). What did you select in MA?

mike
QUOTE Thanks
chiccaboom

I selected 'files' to transfer an then selected to a Mac on my old
Comp. the first time I tried the MA gave me an option of selecting to create another user profile or something...I selected do not transfer profile bc I just wanted my files on my new comp under one profile. I think this might have been the problem. When I tried to do it again I never received this message again.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Oh yes, you want the user. That's where Documents, Pictures, Music etc is transferred, the 'files' selection is a small bundle normally.. I don't have a full handle on what it actually transfers (perhaps /Users/Shared)

I found this explanation
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Quote:
Basically, anything at the root level of the source volume not included in the standard Applications, Library, System, & Users folders. For instance, say you have created a root level folder named "Extras" for some miscellaneous files you don't want to keep in any user account's home folder. None of the other options of Migration Assistant would transfer this folder, so the "Other files and folders" option gives you that capability.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
chiccaboom

Ohhh, I thought by selecting 'files' that would transfer over all my word documents, downloaded movies and music and powerpoint files! It looks like that's not the case.

Does anyone know what I should select then to JUST transfer word docs, powerpoints music and photos? I don't really care about applications.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Just select user, that'll transfer your home directory. Unless you installed applications for ONLY that user (that is they're in your home/Applications) it won't transfer any apps.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
chiccaboom

Thanks for all ur help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« In the market for a new Macbook Pro 15"... will I be able to do the following? | Shutdown after downloads finish app? »