New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Powerbook G4 not reading batteries

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

atarisastoria

atarisastoria is on a distinguished road

I have a 2004 PowerBook (PowerPC) G4 with Mac OS X 10.4.11 1.5 GHz 512 MB DDR SDRAM and am having a problem with it reading my batteries. I have 3 different good batteries, all with low cycle counts (one brand new), and it will not read nor charge any of them. They will charge in another PowerBook though. The problem has been persisting for a couple months now, just haven't figured out what the underlying issue is yet.

With a battery installed and the PowerBook running off the power adaptor, the battery meter will switch back and forth from "No batteries available," to "100%" charged, but the batteries have all been run down and are dead (no green lights when button is pushed on batteries). The PowerBook will run just fine off of the power adaptor, but the moment I unplug it, the Powerbook dies. I have tried resetting the PMU and other troubleshooting steps to get the battery to charge or be recognized to no avail.

Has anyone experienced this same thing? Can anyone tell me what the problem is and if it's something I can fix on my own? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Mine did the same thing. Try this Aluminum PowerBook (15 inch) Battery Update v1.1 or this Battery Update 1.1
QUOTE Thanks
atarisastoria

atarisastoria is on a distinguished road

Thanks rabbitjetta. I just tried those, but no luck. Anyone else?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro to 26" Vizio not allowing resolution higher than 1056x594 | Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro (Invisible Shield)? »