New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro Case Scratches...Repairable?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

davistld01

davistld01 is on a distinguished road

Just dove into the world of Mac today by buying a early 2010 i5 15" MacBook Pro from a local Craigslist seller. It was an amazing deal...and the machine is in great shape, except for some minor scratches on the top and some more serious scratches (not gouges or dents) on the base from two years of college abuse.

Can Apple rework and repair these scratches at either an Apple store or by mailing the laptop directly to Apple? Would the price scare me?

Hope it can be done and relatively inexpensively because I love the Mac, but can't afford a ton on repairs.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Well, let's think about this. The surface texture is applied by an electrolytic passivation (it's anodized) that would require removing the guts of the case, redoing it, then reassembling the entire thing. So, the short answer is.. nope. It wouldn't be cheap.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
davistld01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Well, let's think about this. The surface texture is applied by an electrolytic passivation (it's anodized) that would require removing the guts of the case, redoing it, then reassembling the entire thing. So, the short answer is.. nope. It wouldn't be cheap.

Ugh!!! That's sure not what I wanted to hear.
QUOTE Thanks
MJGreenlief

MJGreenlief is on a distinguished road

Get a nice Incase or Speck case for it and protect it going forward. I have an Incase on mine and I love it, protects it and gives you a better grip.
QUOTE Thanks
davistld01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreenlief View Post
Get a nice Incase or Speck case for it and protect it going forward. I have an Incase on mine and I love it, protects it and gives you a better grip.
Thanks. Looking into that today, matter of fact.

Also was pleasantly suprised to find that I have over a year of AppleCare still left on the Mac that I got switched into my name by my very helpful Apple customer service tech guy. He recommended that I take it to my local Apple service center, and that they might be able to handle it under the warranty with a upper case replacement or something. I'm hopeful!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
Thanks. Looking into that today, matter of fact.

Also was pleasantly suprised to find that I have over a year of AppleCare still left on the Mac that I got switched into my name by my very helpful Apple customer service tech guy. He recommended that I take it to my local Apple service center, and that they might be able to handle it under the warranty with a upper case replacement or something. I'm hopeful!
There ya go! Yes, it is great that AppleCare is transferable

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help with flash player on my ibook g4? | MBP- Heating up!! »