New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

How do i connect my Macbook Pro to HD tv?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gherybeans

gherybeans is on a distinguished road

hey everyone
i'm new on the website, and i had a question regarding my macbook pro.
I just bought a new Sony 55" HDTV, and i wanted to watch some movies from my mac on the TV. i bought a DVI to HDMI adapter (with sound), and i connected the computer to the TV.
a blue screen flashes on my macbook, and then it goes back to my desktop. I can't manage to see anything on my tv. I watched some tutorials on youtube, and the people click on system preferences> displays> Arragement. that tab is not avaiable, all i have are the "display" tab and the "color" tab.
anyone know what i should do?
p.s. My current operating system is Mac OS X 10.6.8
thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
DrEwTiMe42o

DrEwTiMe42o is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM

I don't know is this is the problem but DVI does not transmit sound if I remember correctly so the DVI to HDMI cable isnt all that useful to you. Most TVs have a VGA slot that you can hook up to and my Mac came with the adapter to convert DVI to VGA and have never had a problem hooking up to my HDTV. Is have lion not but had SL for a long time with no problems. I would take the HDMI back and get yourself a VGA cable, it may not recognize your tv as a display due to the type of connection. And you won't see any benefit of the HDMI slot since e signal down converts because of the DVI. You will also need to get a 3/8 jack to RCA cable for the sound. That's exactly what i use and no matter what tv I use I have never had any issues. Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trying to buy a Macbook pro, what is right for me? | Macbook 'delete' button not working.. »