New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Screen Brightness Not So Bright

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Marrk

Marrk is on a distinguished road

I searched around and could not find anything exactly on this, so I thought I would start a thread.

The brightness of the screen on my less that 1 year old 13-in. MBP (it's of the generation just before the most recent models) seems a little less bright. I'm talking about the brightness when I have manually adjusted the Brightness level to the maximum. It might be me, or it might be my old(er) eyes, but I seem to perceive that it is not quite so bright as it was not long ago.

This problem, if it is a problem, will have to get a lot worse before anyone can do anything about it, but I just thought I would throw the whole issue out there and see if anyone else has experienced same.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13.3" 2.66 GHz OS 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
The brightness of the screen on my less that 1 year old 13-in. MBP (it's of the generation just before the most recent models) seems a little less bright. I'm talking about the brightness when I have manually adjusted the Brightness level to the maximum. It might be me, or it might be my old(er) eyes, but I seem to perceive that it is not quite so bright as it was not long ago.
The "perceived" brightness of a laptops display can vary greatly depending where you are. Sitting next to a sunny window during the day...or in a dark room at night.

But if your display truly seems less bright than it used to...and the computer is less than 1 year-old...get to an Apple Store...and have them check it out.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Duly noted, Nick. Thanks.

As I hinted above, I think it will have to become something more evident before anyone will be able to diagnose it as a problem. I notice it because I am on the computer every day and even I am not certain that there s a problem!

I have AppleCare, so (I assume) there is time.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Duly noted, Nick. Thanks.

As I hinted above, I think it will have to become something more evident before anyone will be able to diagnose it as a problem. I notice it because I am on the computer every day — and even I am not certain that there s a problem!
Yeah...I doubt that the Apple Store would have any sort of measuring device to measure the brightness (nits or candelas per square meter (cd/m2))...the best they could probably do (if they even think about it)...is compare it to another unit (if your model is still available in the Apple Store). And even then...there is variation between similar units.

If things got real serious...they would probably have to ship it somewhere for more exhaustive testing/evaluation.

Quote:
I have AppleCare, so (I assume) there is time.
Yeah like you said...as long as your 12 months of Applecare is not about to run out...or you have extended Applecare...you're fine for the moment.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
DrEwTiMe42o

DrEwTiMe42o is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM

Definitely time if you have AppleCare. Just be sure that your aware of the expiration date!
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

I bought the AppleCare product when I bought the MBP. It's covers 3 years from date of purchase, doesn't it?

QUOTE Thanks
DrEwTiMe42o

DrEwTiMe42o is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM

Depending on what option you got yes. If I remember correctly there was and option for 1 year and one for 3 years right? Or am I getting that mixed up with the mfg warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I bought the AppleCare product when I bought the MBP. It's covers 3 years from date of purchase, doesn't it?
Here's the "graphic" that Apple has on their site regarding the Applecare warranty:

Apple - Support - AppleCare - Mac and Apple Display

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

I called AppleCare. Mine is 3 years from date of purchase.

QUOTE Thanks
Rebecca G.

Rebecca G. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I searched around and could not find anything exactly on this, so I thought I would start a thread.

This problem, if it is a problem, will have to get a lot worse before anyone can do anything about it, but I just thought I would throw the whole issue out there and see if anyone else has experienced same.

Thanks!
Go to your System Preferences and click on Display. Make sure that your brightness bar is all the way to full strength..most likely this is the solution.
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca G. View Post
Go to your System Preferences and click on Display. Make sure that your brightness bar is all the way to full strength..most likely this is the solution.

Already did/knew that, but thank you.

My screen is probably within the norm. I was just floating the question to see if this model had any issues that I ought to know about.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is my MacBook Pro a hard drive mangler? | Hard drive dilemma »