New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Installing Firmware Update on 2011 MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

I'm trying to install an EFI Firmware update on a 2011 MBP; however, after restarting it beeps, restarts to a grey booting screen with a status bar, then restarts a third time normally. Is this normal?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Yes, it's scary, but normal. My iMac has had two firmware updates and did the same thing both times.
QUOTE Thanks
DrEwTiMe42o

DrEwTiMe42o is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM

Don't those type of updates come with the updates from apple? I remember that some do and some we are responsible to download ourselves.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Machine specific firmware updates are automatic from Apple - provided you have a connection to the net.

Other device firmware updates may or may not be automatic.
QUOTE Thanks
DrEwTiMe42o

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM

I appologize for the hijack but dont want to waste space creating another thread.. But can you give an example of something that wouldn't be included in an apple update. I was always confused by this. And don't know if I'm missing out on crucial updates for my machine.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

For example, a firmware update for a device you purchased from a third party = DVD burner, Router, etc.

Apple devices are detected (as long as they're attached) and will be updated if a firmware update for them exists.
Even my older Apple aluminum keyboard received an automatic firmware update some time back.
QUOTE Thanks
DrEwTiMe42o

Ok thanks a lot for clearing that up. Because I remember a while back reading that my specific MBP(late 2008) had an issue with fans not kicking on and wanted to make sure those types of things came to my Mac automatically though updates.
QUOTE Thanks
Scott64

Scott64 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP 8GB RAM 640GB HDD

I'm trying (and failing) to get the EFI update (2.3) installed on my machine (late 2011 MBP). It looks like it's working, it instructs me to reboot, I do, it comes back up and it's still in the list of available software updates. I don't get the status bar on boot-up that it sounds like I'm supposed to get, either. From what I can find, most times when people can't get the EFI updates to install, people say "keep the screen open" or "make sure it's plugged into a wall outlet" and that fixes their issue, but I've had it plugged in with the screen open every time I've tried and no luck. Any ideas?

-Scott
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I recommend contacting Apple support and see what they say. And if there is an Apple store nearby you may wish to make an appointment and take it on in for them to check it out.
QUOTE Thanks
Scott64

Scott64 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP 8GB RAM 640GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I recommend contacting Apple support and see what they say. And if there is an Apple store nearby you may wish to make an appointment and take it on in for them to check it out.
I reset the SMC and PRAM, tried installing with the installer in addition to the auto update, still no luck either way. Contacted Apple, they had me give them some info, I told them what I tried, tried one more time with the installer at their request. Their last suggestion was to reinstall Lion, which did work.

-Scott
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Vibrating Macbook Pro | MBP charge completely »