New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro A1150 stuck at grey apple

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smdeconto

smdeconto is on a distinguished road

Hello Friends,

My Macbook Pro has recently decided to get stuck at the grey loading screen with the apple logo in the center. I have read quite a bit about this online and this is what i've tried...

Resetting the SMC
Resetting the PRAM
It will not boot into Safe Mode
It will not boot from the DVD
I tried putting in a different hard drive.
I tried disconnecting the hard drive and booting straight from the DVD, still hangs at the gray screen
I tried disconnecting the PRAM battery, still hangs at the gray screen.
I tried running it only on battery power.
I tried running it only on the plug in power.

I have tried pretty much anything. I went to the genius bar and they told me it was most likely the hard drive, but my tests say differently.

Any idea?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

It sounds more like a dead or failed logic board. With all the tests you performed, there's not anything else that I can think of which would display the symptoms you stated.

Your machine is probably no longer under warranty so you might want to think about either getting a new one or try a third party Apple authorized repair such as iResQ. Give them a call on their 800 line.
QUOTE Thanks
smdeconto

When I went to the genius bar they "tested" the hardware. The fact that everything came out clean made the "genius" think it was the hard drive. Would that test have told me if it was the logic board?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Would that test have told me if it was the logic board?
Yes, it should have if in fact they did a complete diagnosis. But frankly, I don't think it's the hard drive either after all the testing you did.
QUOTE Thanks
smdeconto

I know that my battery is garbage but out should stay up fine with only the power adapter right? Out worked fine but it died and I left it unused and unplugged for like a week. Now it hangs at the gray screen. From what I read it sounds like a PRAM issue but booting with that disconnected should have proved that.....I think.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« i7 vs i5 and 1600mhz on MBP 13" (2011 version) | trading in? »