New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Trying to buy a Macbook pro, what is right for me?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Teensy88

Teensy88 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys!
I'm about to buy my first laptop (that's right, I made it 24 years without one!) and thought that I would buy a Macbook pro as my friends have them and rave on about them, plus I have an iPhone and an iPod and thought I may as well keep it all in the family.
I travel constantly for work so was thinking I would get the 13 inch as it's a bit more compact.
I'm technologically retarded and am not sure whether or not to buy the cheaper one, which has 2.4GHz dual-core, Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333MHz, 500GB 5400-rpm1, and Intel HD Graphics 3000
OR buy the more expensive one which has 2.8GHz dual-core, Intel Core i7, 4GB 1333MHz, 750GB 5400-rpm1, Intel HD Graphics 3000.

As I mentioned, I know next to nothing about computers, and don't really understand what all this means! As for what I'll be using it for, mostly buying, downloading and watching movies, tv shows and music, watching dvds, general internet surfing, banking and facebooking, maybe having a little dabble into editing photos and videos, plus playing around with iTunes as I have about 80GB of music.
Can anyone recommend what might be right for me?

Cheers!
Teensy88
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The entry level MacBook Pro 13" (lesser expensive model) should be fine for you. I was also going to suggest a MacBook Air, however, you mentioned the 80GB of music. The MBA comes with a SSD and unless you spend the extra money to get a larger one, your music will almost fill it from the start.
QUOTE Thanks
davistld01

davistld01 is on a distinguished road

I'm in almost the same spot as the OP...limited computer knowledge, but have Apple products (iPhone, iPad...) and want to make a dive into the Mac pool, but can't and don't want to spend much for what I do.

I had a 13" Late-2008 MacBook located...but they are too proud of it, so I see that I can buy several 2008-2009 MacBook 13" Pros around me for the $500-600 range, which I can afford, although it's at my limit financially.

I've decided to go with the 13" MacBook Pro. Seems the best bang for the buck, and is almost as portable and svelte as the Air...which is almost TOO skinny & light for me.
QUOTE Thanks
petercrowell

petercrowell is on a distinguished road

You sound like a prime candidate for a macbook air. I can't believe how portable my 11" is. It's got all the computing power I need, more than enough storage space, and it's so freaking light.

I downsized from a 13" macbook which now feels like a behemoth to me. When you use full screen mode on the air, you get screen space comparable to the macbook. Plus, the dimensions of the screen help it to make the most of the real estate.

Cheaper too!
QUOTE Thanks
DrEwTiMe42o

DrEwTiMe42o is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM

If your a music person you almost cant get the Air for space reasons. Not to mention you get a lot more for your money( ports, drives, space etc) with the MBP
QUOTE Thanks
badshoehabit

badshoehabit will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro MC721: 500GB 15.4" 16GB Core i7 OS Mavericks 10.9.2 iPhone 4s 16gb

I would always get the best spec for what I could afford to pay - you never know what you may do once you have your hands on one!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro vs. Macbook Air | How do i connect my Macbook Pro to HD tv? »