New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

How much available ram is good

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jrandis04

jrandis04 is on a distinguished road

I have a MacBook Pro with 4GB of ram. Its been running really slow lately, for example, last night I had 4 or 5 firefox windows open and it kept freezing up. I looked and I only have 100MB of ram free, tonight its been as low as 55MB. Is this bad? I am going to the Mac store tomorrow to get my battery replaced, should I have them look at it? Any suggestions of what would cause it to run slow or have so little ram free or is that normal?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

Andres87 will become famous soon enough

wow thats not good, better find out what program is taking all your ram I also have 4 gigs of ram and the only time I get that low is when I'm going crazy on Autocad.
QUOTE Thanks
jrandis04

Here is a picture of the screen with everything on it
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2012-01-12 at 9.37.39 PM.png (700.9 KB, 21 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

I blame Firefox! Guilty!!! no really look at it how many windows/ tabs do you have open?
QUOTE Thanks
jrandis04

Ok, what do you mean by windows or tabs open? In firefox, right now I only have 2 tabs open, is that what you mean? Sorry, dont know a ton about Macs besides they are easy to use!
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

no thats what I meant but only 2 tabs? there's no way 2 tabs would do that. hmm do you have adblock plus or something like that on firefox? I ask because ad block would do that on my Mac when I went to some websites.
QUOTE Thanks
jrandis04

Never heard of adblock plus.
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

it blocks ads on youtube and everywhere else. I'm gonna look around to see whats causing your problem.
QUOTE Thanks
jrandis04

I appreciate it! Like I said in the original post, I am going to the Mac store tomorrow, Ill ask them to. Is it possible I need more RAM or could the RAM be bad? My hard drive is almost completely empty, I have 0 widgets, maybe 2 or 3 apps but I never use them.
QUOTE Thanks
DrEwTiMe42o

DrEwTiMe42o is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM

Wow that is a crazy amount of RAM for fire fox. I have had 12+ tabs open and have never in my time of using the internet seen firefox go above a gig. And im always curious as to what is doing what. Do you have a lot of addons in firefox and/or have a theme and whatnot?
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandis04 View Post
I appreciate it! Like I said in the original post, I am going to the Mac store tomorrow, Ill ask them to. Is it possible I need more RAM or could the RAM be bad? My hard drive is almost completely empty, I have 0 widgets, maybe 2 or 3 apps but I never use them.
I use firefox all the time and it has never been a ram hog for me, (Safari is a different story)

There's some reason that Firefox is eating up all that ram, what are your normal browsing sessions like? Do they consist of a lot of video streaming, flash games, or any other intensive tasks?

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks
jrandis04

No add ons or themes, everytime it reboots it always asks me to download stuff and I always say no
QUOTE Thanks
jrandis04

When I surf the web its just facebook, email, news, sports stuff, very few times do I watch videos or do music
QUOTE Thanks
DrEwTiMe42o

DrEwTiMe42o is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM

Have you tried deleting and reinstalling firefox? Unless firefox is asking you to download their update there should be no reason it should prompt for any type of download. Perhaps you have some spyware/malware?
QUOTE Thanks
jrandis04

How do I uninstall it? Do I just drag it to the recycle bin or is there a program somewhere on the computer like in Windows to uninstall programs?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mini-DVI to a Male S-Video Cable? | odd ram slot or power connection problem i would love any help i could get »