New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Why does the time on my mac gradually get ahead

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

poolzey89

poolzey89 is on a distinguished road

It sounds weird but the time on my mac gradually gets ahead, over time.

I reset the clock about a month ago to exactly the right time, and now it's 8 minutes fast.

I know it's not much, but that's weird right??

What's going on???????

BTW - Serious post. lol
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Do you have a network connection? If so why not use network time?
 -> System preferences -> Date & Time -> Date & Time Tab -> check "Set date and time automatically"

Computer clocks are notorious for drifts - always better to use ntp when you can.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Do you have Mac to set time automatically or are you constantly setting it yourself? Every RTC has some jitter in it, some more than others and they will drift..setting the option to setting the time automatically will ensure that you are syncing with a remote NTP (network time protocol) server and correcting your local time. The sync should be happening frequently enough that you wouldn't/shouldn't notice any drift..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Proximity to the Bermuda Triangle or an intergalactic wormhole?

BTW - Not a serious post

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
poolzey89

poolzey89 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good replies
QUOTE Thanks
petercrowell

petercrowell is on a distinguished road

Your computer is from the future and is trying to return home.
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Maybe the Mac was right and all the other clocks just way too slow?

QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan View Post
Maybe the Mac was right and all the other clocks just way too slow?
Maybe it's just ahead of its time. Literally.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
Maybe it's just ahead of its time. Literally.
A definite Razorism...
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Marrk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
Do you have a network connection? If so why not use network time?
 -> System preferences -> Date & Time -> Date & Time Tab -> check "Set date and time automatically"

Computer clocks are notorious for drifts - always better to use ntp when you can.

So, what exactly is time.apple.com? Is it linked to a government time standard perhaps? Or GMT? Or UTC?

MacBook Pro 13.3" 2.66 GHz OS 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

time.apple.com is one of Apple's NTP servers (this old article suggests that Apple has three). NTP servers are simply servers set up such that clients (such as your machine) can synchronize their time.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
time.apple.com is one of Apple's NTP servers (this old article suggests that Apple has three). NTP servers are simply servers set up such that clients (such as your machine) can synchronize their time.

Okay. But what is the NTP server synchronized to? What time keeping standard?

QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold

ntp.org: Home of the Network Time Protocol
Ntp is the network time protocol. It is a pyramid of servers. Basically the top level servers are atomic clock synchronized. They pass sync info on down the chain until it gets to individual users.
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Thanks.

That seems like an odd way to do things. I mean, wouldn't that "passing down" process involve time delay and, therefore, inaccuracy? Or am misunderstanding?

QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

If you are worried about that short of a delay - you are getting into quantum physics. Most drift shouldn't be more than a few milliseconds a day ( that may even be a lot) most ntp requests are once a day. It is a pyramid due to server load.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook pro 13 i5 vs i7 | 2011 13.3" Macbook Pro »