New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Powerbook G4 hard drive recovery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

The Austringer

The Austringer is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
I have recently tried to recover the data from my crashed Powerbook G4 using a NewerTech USB 3.0/2.0 Universal Drive Adapter. Until you open the box you are not told it does not work on slim hard drive such as the powerbook's.
At 21 it was worth a shot but I still have no solution.

Does anyone know what I should buy to connect the slim hard drive to my desktop imac?

Thanks, The Austringer
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Confused here. Why does it not work? How does it connect?

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

There webpage says

It's a complete solution that allows any 2.5″, 3.5″, or 5.25″ hard drive or optical drive* with any standard IDE/ATA/ATAPI 40 pin or SATA interface

So I dont see how it cannot work with a PowerBook's ATA drive

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Try Data Rescue 3 which has a demo mode to see if it is recoverable:-

Prosoft Engineering - Products

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
The Austringer

The Austringer is on a distinguished road

Hi, thanks for the replies. The NewerTech USB 3.0/2.0 Universal Drive Adapter will not fit a laptop HD. It makes out on the box that its a one stop solution, but its not. The literature in the box has a very small exclusion. It is because it is a slim drive and they don't supply an adapter that fits. It wouldn't take much to include an adapter that would work, but as it is it doesn't fit. I will go and try this Data rescue 3.

Any ideas welcome, Thanks, Steve.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« trading in? | [2008 MBP] Computer unresponsive, possible overheat??? Need advice! »