New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Keyboard not working, left click behaves like right click

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rom.rej

rom.rej is on a distinguished road

Hey, i have a problem. My macbook air was completely alright when i was using it in the evening. I shut it down, went to bed and then i woke up in the morning, turned on my laptop and all of the sudden, the keyboard didnt work. Also, when i left clicked the trackpad, it behaved like when i do right click(the window with i.e. "copy, save as.." popped up). BUT EVERYTHING else was/is working like a charm. It feels like the laptop is completely okay, just the keyboard and trackpad are not working. This happend like a month ago. I took it to my local Apple Service Provider, and they diagnosed it as water damage(altough there is no possibility i spilled water on it/somebody spilled water on it). They sent me some pictures. The only part showing some damage is a little place, right where the mag safe connector connects to the laptop. Its maybe an inch by inch big. Aparently, they want me to pay 1000(1300dollars) so they can fix it. They want to change the whole motherboard, in order to fix this one little piece of it. I would not say a word if the computer was dead or had some other main damage, but i think its ridiculous to pay 1000(i can buy brand new macbook air for this price) just to pay for the keyboard/trackpad repair. Also, i tried to connect my magic mouse to it and it does the same thing. When i do left click, it actually does right click.
PLEASE help me, or tell me if its really neccessary to remove and change the WHOLE motherboard or if its reasonable to pay that price for this repair.(I live in Czech Republic, where those repair guys would tell me anything to get money. So i dont really believe them, its a water damage because i didnt spill any water on it) And if you have any suggestions what else could be the problem, i would be glad if you shared them with me.
These are the pictures of the broken/damaged piece:
http://i39.tinypic.com/ms0z2s.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2zxnnnd.jpg

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It does look like corrosion has formed on the receptor part to the MagSafe connector. It may not have been from a spill but from humidity. Although it's going to be difficult to convince the Apple repair provider otherwise.

I'm not sure what recourse you have there in the Czech Republic, but changing out an entire logic board is probably what the Apple service repair would do here in the States also. You may wind up having to live with the problem.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
QUOTE Thanks
rom.rej

rom.rej is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
It does look like corrosion has formed on the receptor part to the MagSafe connector. It may not have been from a spill but from humidity. Although it's going to be difficult to convince the Apple repair provider otherwise.

I'm not sure what recourse you have there in the Czech Republic, but changing out an entire logic board is probably what the Apple service repair would do here in the States also. You may wind up having to live with the problem.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thank you for your reply. Yeah, i doubt im going to convince them that its not from spill but from humidity or whatever else. But why arent keyboard and trackpad working when there is a corrosion on the receptor part to the magsafe connector?
Idk if its just me but isnt 1000EUR repair kinda overpriced? I mean, seriously, i can buy a brand new MBA for this price. I dont know what should i do, everybody is encouraging to sell this laptop for parts and buy a new one. But honestly, i dont want to, why would i sell it if its still functional? I can even do some stuff on it, unless i dont have to use keyboard. Thats why i refuse to pay that much, i would not say a THING if my MBA was dead. Like dead dead. Not keyboard-not-working-dead. Understand what im trying to say? That would be reasonable price for what would be needed to fix.
Also i forgot to mention, trackpad works just fine right after i turn the laptop on. It takes like 2-3minutes for it to stop working properly. Any ideas why?
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom.rej View Post
Thank you for your reply. Yeah, i doubt im going to convince them that its not from spill but from humidity or whatever else. But why arent keyboard and trackpad working when there is a corrosion on the receptor part to the magsafe connector?
Idk if its just me but isnt 1000EUR repair kinda overpriced? I mean, seriously, i can buy a brand new MBA for this price. I dont know what should i do, everybody is encouraging to sell this laptop for parts and buy a new one. But honestly, i dont want to, why would i sell it if its still functional? I can even do some stuff on it, unless i dont have to use keyboard. Thats why i refuse to pay that much, i would not say a THING if my MBA was dead. Like dead dead. Not keyboard-not-working-dead. Understand what im trying to say? That would be reasonable price for what would be needed to fix.
Also i forgot to mention, trackpad works just fine right after i turn the laptop on. It takes like 2-3minutes for it to stop working properly. Any ideas why?
Selling it for parts and buying a new one does sound like the best option to me personally. It's not actually still functional if the keyboard doesn't work and the trackpad is not working correctly. And also as you said before, you can buy a brand new MBA for the price of the repair.

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks
syerra

syerra is on a distinguished road

My Macbook suddenly decided to act in the same way as described by the OP (probably because of humidity or a spill), except that it seems to work normally when connect it to an external keyboard. I am currently using it as a clamshell pseudo imac with an external keyboard, mouse and monitor. Do you guys think it is necessary for me to rush to the apple store asap? I don't mind the status quo and I am scared that the apple store might make things worse for me; but do you think that I might have further problems?.

Thanks
S
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS X Install On Macbook ??? | Connecting 11" MacBook Air to 20" Cinema Display »