New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

grey screen of death

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hpowell

hpowell is on a distinguished road

Fairly new MacBook Pro stuck on grey screen at startup.

Can anyone help?!

When trying to verify/repair disk, feedback says Disk can not be repaired please back up all important documents etc etc.

I can't back anything up though because I can't log on. Computer hasn't been backed up recently so I would like to try to find a way to repair without losing harddrive, but understand if this is impossible.

I've searched through forums and articles but each seem to be user specific. Obviously not every macbook gets the grey screen for the same reason.

If anyone could help it would be GREATLY appreciated. Will post and run any information you might need! Didn't want to submit unnecessary info.

Quote:
Booting from Disk
Select Language, Hit Continue to reinstall snow leopard, select Macintosh HD, receive error: The contents of this disk can't be changed. Mac OS X couldn't be installed on this disk.
Quote:
DISK UTILITY
Info: Disk Identifier: disk0s2
System Version: 10.7.2
Writable: No

Can not repair disk permissions or disk because the drive can not be written to.
Verify disk permissions gives the following errors:
Group differs on "Library/Java", should be 0, group is 80.
Permissions differ on "Library/Java", should be drwxr-xr-x, they are drwxrwxr-x.
Quote:
Verifying volume "Macintosh HD"
Missing thread record (id = ######)
--lists a bunch of thread records id's
Incorrect number of thread records
Invalid lead record count
(It should be 1318712 instead of 1318710
Checking multi-linked files
Incorrect Number of file hard links
Checking catalog hierarchy
Invalid directory item count.
(It should be 1960 instead of 2076)
etc. etc.
The volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely.
Error: The disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.
Quote:
Repair Disk
Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files
Is there a way around this? I have no way of backing my disk.
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

Mac Time Machine software, free with your Mac, backs up your HDD automatically and invisibly every hour. It sounds as though your HDD is fried, they all do that eventually. A new HDD and clean OS install will get you operational again but your lost data and software is lost. There are a number of services available to recover that which may still be recoverable. Google and you will get 3,840,000 hits.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

You need a new hard drive. It happens sometimes they fail when brand new. Any chance it is still under warranty as you did say 'fairly new'? Rescuing data is an extremely expensive business but consider this trial software from Data Rescue 3:-

http://www.prosofteng.com/downloads/....php?prodID=78

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
circa_bc

circa_bc is on a distinguished road

Id pull the harddrive out, replace it, then get a USB to Stat device (example: Thermaltake BlacX S 2.5/3.5IN SATA Hard Drive USB2.0 eSATA Docking Station - Thermaltake - ST0005U ) you'll have better luck accessing it that way, through the OS, hopefully you can recover some data off it

Macbook Pro (A1278) 2.53 ghz w/ 4gig Ram, 320 gig HD
Mac Mini (A1283) 2.52 ghz / w 4 gig ram, 120 gig SSD, LaCie 2TB D2-Quad (x2)

Mac Pro (A1289) 2x2.26 Quad-Core Xeon w/12gig ram, 1TB (x2)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« First time Mac User, Looking for some assistance | Broken Macbook 13". Probably electrical glitch. »