Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   Macbook Pro 2011 runs perfectly but beeps 4 times every 5 minutes or so... (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/263174-macbook-pro-2011-runs-perfectly-but-beeps-4-times-every-5-minutes-so.html)

mikeloop 01-10-2012 07:45 PM

Macbook Pro 2011 runs perfectly but beeps 4 times every 5 minutes or so...

Hey there, in a nut shell, I have a 2011 unibody Macbook Pro. I have had zero problems with it until now, it is a 13 inch, running Lion.

When it is on, it will be 4 times (2 mini beeps per beep). It sounds like a cell phone timer or something like that, not actual absurd beeps that happen when there are hardware issues.

If I turn the volume to mute, it takes care of the beeps.

What can do I do here!!!!??? My computer is running at 100% and is perfectly fine minus the beeps!!! The beeps are HIGH pitch.

YosemiteSam81 01-10-2012 08:10 PM

Interesting. I am wondering if this would help identify the problem?

Power On Self-Test Beep Definition - Part 2

Maybe somebody else will come along and have more info. Good luck!

mikeloop 01-10-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YosemiteSam81 (Post 1353441)
Interesting. I am wondering if this would help identify the problem?

Power On Self-Test Beep Definition - Part 2

Maybe somebody else will come along and have more info. Good luck!

I matched it up with the 4 beeps.. what does this mean?

4 beeps = no good boot images in the boot ROM (and/or bad sys config block)

chscag 01-11-2012 12:09 AM

The beeps probably have nothing to do with the POST since you can mute them out.

What have you got running in the background? Open your Activity Monitor application from Utilities and look for something that's running that's causing the beeps. Perhaps a timer program or some such?

Another test you can do: Start the machine in Safe mode and see if the same happens. Press and hold the Shift key as soon as you hear the chime. Safe mode disables startup and background activities.

mikeloop 01-15-2012 07:41 PM

Bump! Still not fixed :(

JacksonMclean 01-17-2012 11:17 AM

same here

Same exact problem here. Gonna ask the people at the Mac repair place on campus.

JacksonMclean 01-17-2012 12:14 PM

Actually, it's every 2 minutes for me, and the beeps are more like double beeps.

So every two minutes I hear:

beepbeep - beepbeep - beepbeep - beepbeep

mikeloop 01-17-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacksonMclean (Post 1356795)
Actually, it's every 2 minutes for me, and the beeps are more like double beeps.

So every two minutes I hear:

beepbeep - beepbeep - beepbeep - beepbeep

That's exactly what is happening now for me, it used to be every 5-6 mins now it's every 2-3 at times, but 5-6 at others, its quite random!

When are you going into the apple store? I went in and they had no idea!

chscag 01-17-2012 08:23 PM

Did you read Post # 4 above? Try what was suggested and let us know.

mikeloop 01-17-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1357044)
Did you read Post # 4 above? Try what was suggested and let us know.

Nothing worked! Didnt beep on safe mode.

JacksonMclean 01-17-2012 08:55 PM

I did the safe mode trick and it stopped beeping! Thanks.

mikeloop 01-17-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacksonMclean (Post 1357055)
I did the safe mode trick and it stopped beeping! Thanks.

How did it work though? If you start in normal mode it will just beep again! Wont it?

chscag 01-17-2012 10:39 PM

OK, guys. If the beeping stopped when in Safe Mode, that tells us it's a program or process that's running in the background (what I suggested to you in my first reply). Now you need to find out which one....

Open your Activity Monitor app and closely watch the processes. See if you can associate the beep, beep, with something that's running. Also make sure all your startup and login items have been shut down.

mikeloop 01-17-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1357104)
OK, guys. If the beeping stopped when in Safe Mode, that tells us it's a program or process that's running in the background (what I suggested to you in my first reply). Now you need to find out which one....

Open your Activity Monitor app and closely watch the processes. See if you can associate the beep, beep, with something that's running. Also make sure all your startup and login items have been shut down.

I think mine has stopped now too every since I ran it in safe mode.. I am in now booting regularly with no problems....yet (knock on wood).

If it does come back, how do I know what program it is? That would take forever!

What do you mean startup and login items?

JacksonMclean 01-18-2012 10:24 PM

My beeping came back. I'll try finding the program using activity monitor. I'll let you know if I have any luck.