New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

I'm not completely convinced my logic board is broken... Need second opinions!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sarah0987

sarah0987 is on a distinguished road

I can't recall the specific specs of my Macbook Pro, but it's a 15 inch unibody that I purchased in August 2011.

About a month ago, I spilled water on it. I followed all the right steps, unplugged it let it dry out, etc. but when I took it to my school's IT desk they told me it was damaged. However, they seemed to think it was only localized to the area that controls the LED screen.

I sent it into iResq to have it repaired and they told me I needed to have my display cable replaced in addition to my logic board and that the repairs would cost me about $1100.

I haven't taken it to the Apple store yet, but I'm just curious as to if it actually IS my logic board that is broken. When I turn it on, everything runs just fine. The keyboard lights up, I can hear the hard drive whirring, and there's no problems with the USB or charger ports. The only thing that appears to be wrong with it is that my screen is dead. BUT if I shine a flashlight on it, I can see the screen perfectly! It looks just like it normally would.

SO is this still a logic board problem or something else?
QUOTE Thanks
circa_bc

circa_bc is on a distinguished road

Have you tried hooking it up to a monitor? see if that work. Im not 110% sure if the same wiring harness thats used for the 'onboard display' effects the display port. its worth it shot, if it works fine on a monitor/display then chances are the logic board is just fine.

Macbook Pro (A1278) 2.53 ghz w/ 4gig Ram, 320 gig HD
Mac Mini (A1283) 2.52 ghz / w 4 gig ram, 120 gig SSD, LaCie 2TB D2-Quad (x2)

Mac Pro (A1289) 2x2.26 Quad-Core Xeon w/12gig ram, 1TB (x2)
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Hi and welcome to the forum Sarah.

If i was you, i would be looking at hooking it up to a external monitor first and see if the Machine is working. This way you can see the OS try the keyboard and more trouble shooting if need be.
If it works on a Ext Monitor then it isn't the Logic Board.
HTH

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
sarah0987

Okay thanks! I'm sorry, I'm kind of inept when it comes to computers, how would I hook it up to an external monitor?
QUOTE Thanks
circa_bc

circa_bc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah0987 View Post
Okay thanks! I'm sorry, I'm kind of inept when it comes to computers, how would I hook it up to an external monitor?

Assuming the side of your MacBook Pro looks like the above picture, you will have to get a Thunderbolt cable (should have been provided i believe) and connect that to an external monitor, or TV. Chances are you will need an adaptor either to go to VGA/HDMI/DVI.

Im not 110% sure what comes with the 2011 MacBooks, I dont have a thunderbolt drive, but that is the port to hook up to an external monitor. Match the input port on the monitor to an adaptor that will allow you to use the thunderbolt port. I promise is not as complicated as i just made it sound lol

Macbook Pro (A1278) 2.53 ghz w/ 4gig Ram, 320 gig HD
Mac Mini (A1283) 2.52 ghz / w 4 gig ram, 120 gig SSD, LaCie 2TB D2-Quad (x2)

Mac Pro (A1289) 2x2.26 Quad-Core Xeon w/12gig ram, 1TB (x2)
QUOTE Thanks
sarah0987

Can a part of my logic board short out or is it an all or nothing type deal?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I would try it on an external display, but if you can see if find with a flashlight on the display then it's the part that powers the LCD's Backlight that is messed up. That also usually plugs into the Logic board, so it still could be the board.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And a board is a complete prefabricated unit ~ no bits and pieces. All or nothing. And having spilled liquid it is quite a reasonable diagnosis alas.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
I sent it into iResq to have it repaired and they told me I needed to have my display cable replaced in addition to my logic board and that the repairs would cost me about $1100.
I agree with Harry. If iResq said the logic board needed replacement, it likely does. They're a very reliable authorized Apple repair service and would not have made that recommendation otherwise. The problem with spills is the long term damage that shows up later due to corrosion and other problems that surface.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I agree with Harry. If iResq said the logic board needed replacement, it likely does. They're a very reliable authorized Apple repair service and would not have made that recommendation otherwise. The problem with spills is the long term damage that shows up later due to corrosion and other problems that surface.
agreed, That is why the Backlight is getting no power since it all plugs into the Logic board.

just had someone spill liquid into my iBook G4 that has been a faithful friend. Some got into the Logic board. I was out of the room. came in and yanked the power and battery and tried to save it but parts on the board were blown from the liquid. Sad but it's gone.
QUOTE Thanks
powermac G5

powermac G5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: *27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*

LVDS cable connector probably has blown pins. I have seen many times, small amout of fluid trapped between cable connector and socket.
Socket is fixed to board so not a replaceable item.
I would use an otoscope, or magnifying glass to view LVDS connector on board first to be certain of the blown pins, they will be blackened or copperish colored not the tin silver they should be. If all silver, then I would view LVDS cable connector pins, should be gold, if blackened then cable replacement would do the trick. If pins are gold then inverter has blown, replace the screen.
Aaron
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Sorry to hear that Dennis. The iBook G4 has always been one of my favorite Apple machines. The only thing that compares with it for size and compactness today is the MacBook Air.
QUOTE Thanks
Reilley

Reilley is on a distinguished road

So exactly the same thing happened to my daughter's 13" white unibody at college. I had her turn it upside down to drain out as much water as possible and then not turn it back on until she could take it to an Apple dealer. Of course, they just immediately told her it was not ever going to work again and that she would have to buy a new one.

When she brought it home several weeks later, I powered it on and it worked - at least for a little over a day. The next morning, I nada the same problems with the screen that Sarah did. The screen was actually displaying data, but no backlight. Here's the weird thing - if I remove the battery and run AC power only, it works perfectly!

Thoughts? I hate to just spend $500 on a logic board when it seems there could be something else wrong here. Our local PeachMac stores won't touch it, lol.
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

My niece spilled water on hers, it wouldn't work. She took it to the Apple store and told them the truth, she cried and said she needed it for work and told them her boss was going to kill her because her boss wanted her to buy her a Windows PC and she complained until they bought her a Macbook Pro, they fixed it for free. Can't say it's going to work in your case, but...............
QUOTE Thanks
josephfazioli

josephfazioli will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.

Often, little parts of the logic board can get toasted. It might be the teeny tiny bit that controls the LED backlight, but that doesn't really matter.

If you can get it to run on an external monitor (maybe even take it to an apple store and see if they'll hook it up to a apple display for you) then I'd say you probably have yourself a really nice desktop.

I totally agree with chscag, though. You are likely to see long-term problems.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 13" MacBook Pro 2009 - need upgrade opinions | how do i discover the rpm of an external hard drive »