New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Alternative to Apple MagSafe power adapter

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ymc226

ymc226 is on a distinguished road

Just got the MBP 15. Apple's own power adapter has a weak point in design where the cord exits the adapter. My son's already on his 2nd adapter after a year and a half.

Instead of taking my new one on trips, has anyone tried the cheaper alternative at: (link removed, not needed)

I would still be careful but don't want to spend twice as much if it may be trashed more quickly by the many business trips I take.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

After seeing to many horror stories on the web I would stay with Apple its cheaper than a new logic board.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

The newer MagSafe adapters have stronger casing on the cord, it's not as much of a problem as it had been.

Unfortunately, Apple has the MagSafe connector patented and has been known to go after third parties that try to produce unauthorized knock-offs. I'd be willing to bet that this company either won't exist or won't be selling that product once Apple legal has their way with them. So, I wouldn't count on the warranty.

Personally, I'd be wary of knock-offs like this. If it isn't well made, the consequences could be dire.

If you want a cheaper one, I'd check out OWC's refurbished units:
Apple MC556LL/A MagSafe 85W Adapter for all MacBook... in stock at OWC

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
samsa

samsa will become famous soon enough

I have been using the same knock off adapter for over a year without incident. The only difference I notice is that when I unplug the adapter the green (or orange, depending) light stays on for a few minutes after being disconnected.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard drive has an invalid sibling link??? | Macbook buying advice? »