New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Problems ripping DVDs (home movies)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pgreen822

pgreen822 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum and not the most technical person in the world. I have a new Macbook pro and about 50 home movies that are on DVD. I downloaded Handbrake and have had luck ripping about 25 of the 50 DVDs. On the other ones, the ripping stops about halfway through and the DVD drive makes a lot of noise. Sometimes, I have to shut it down to get the DVD out. Has anyone had this issue before? Is it because of the labels I have on the DVDs? I had labels on ALL of the 50 DVDs. Any ideas on how I can get around this issue? Thanks!

Pat
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

There may be a problem with the actual DVD or how it was burnt or if it was not finalized. Do you have access to another DVD drive?

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
pgreen822

All of the DVDs were burned the exact same way on the exact same computer, so I don't think it is a DVD issue.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

It has to be an issue with something to do with the DVD. Sounds like the Optical drive in the mac is having issues reading some of your DVD's.
QUOTE Thanks
pgreen822

Thanks, Dennis. Do you think it could have anything to do with the labels? I am trying to figure out if it is a hardware problem or if it is something to do with the condition of the DVDs.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

What kind of labels you have on the DVD's? If they are Stick On labels, those have caused me many issues in many different optical drives, but even more so, Slot load drives.
QUOTE Thanks
pgreen822

You hit the nail on the head, Dennis. They are stick on labels and it is a slot load drive. Do you think removing the labels may help? Any ideas on the best way to remove a label? Finally, did I do any damage to my drive by trying to rip these DVDs?
QUOTE Thanks
Gh0st

Gh0st is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreen822 View Post
Do you think removing the labels may help? Any ideas on the best way to remove a label? Finally, did I do any damage to my drive by trying to rip these DVDs?
It couldn't have been anything too bad, man. And yes, try removing them. My dormmate and I were trying to watch his copy of the Suicide Season DVD form Bring Me The Horizon, but it was rattling around in the drive and it sounded as though it wasn't spinning. Discs one and two worked, though - they're the audio ones. There's no telling it just the labels are it, but no harm in trying. It's certainly possible.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sata 3 optical bay | How easy to repair? »