New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Powerbook G4 Charging?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yamaha

yamaha is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Which One? Haha

I just recentley fixed my old Powerbook and have been using it. And yesterday the charing stoped working. I picked up the computer by the screen and I heard kind of a click. The charger still works on another powerbook so it is not the charger. I put a broken charger in the port and wiggled and twisted it around and it lit up green but did not charge it (that is why ir is broken) then I plugged my charger in and it worked again. Then as I closed the computer it stopped working and now when I open it it does not work. Then I again tryed the charger on another powerbook and it worked fine. So my qustion is could there be a short from picking it up by the screen or something wrong inside the port? What could cause this? If needed I can take apart the computer because I installed a new hard drive and it was easy for me.

Edit: The click may have just been a normal noise because I still hear it when I push the screen all the way back. I just realy need to know whats wrong because I need to use my computer!

2006 15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
yamaha

Anyone?

2006 15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
yamaha

I guess I will just take it apart and see whats up. If anything is broken I can use parts from and old powerbook that I have that does not work and is beat up.

2006 15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
yamaha

I looked down in the charger port/hole with a light and it looks like there are some prongs or something that are bent and now my charger will not fit all the way into the hole. So if I take it apart will I be able to take just then charger port out of the computer and try to fix it?

2006 15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

You need to swap out the DC in-board in order to change the charging port. If you replaced the HD with ease it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Apple 922-5460 - DC-In Board PowerBook G4 w/Cable

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks
yamaha

Could I swap the board and port from another powerbook I have? It is the same model and everything it just does not work and I use it as a parts computer. I know for a fact that the charging works though.

2006 15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha View Post
Could I swap the board and port from another powerbook I have? It is the same model and everything it just does not work and I use it as a parts computer. I know for a fact that the charging works though.
If it's the same model as your current working PowerBook, a swap should work just fine.

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks
yamaha

Thats what I will do. Thanks! And will the ifixit.com instructions work well?

2006 15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha View Post
Thats what I will do. Thanks! And will the ifixit.com instructions work well?
If you can find a specific guide for replacing a d/c inboard for your model of Powerbook, yes. I've always found ifixit to be very detailed and accurate.

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Building MacBook??? | Mini-DVI to a Male S-Video Cable? »