New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Which is faulty? DVD drive or DVDs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PhilFaber

PhilFaber is on a distinguished road

I've been having problems burning DVDs on both our MacBook Pro (17-inch Core 2 Duo) and our iMac (20-inch Core 2 Duo), using an external DVD burner too, and using various makes of DVDs.

Some burn, some don't, some burn but then fail the verify.

Does anyone know how I can determine whether it is the drives or DVDs that are the problem? Clearly if the DVDs are bad, all drives will fail with them but as different drives fail in different ways with different DVDs, I'm at a lost to how to diagnose this!

Is there, perhaps, any diagnostic software that wll be able to distinguish between a faulty DVD and a faulty drive so I can figure out what I need to replace / fix?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Firstly I would give the drives a clean out, either by blowing air into them, or with a disc based cleaner (though some people hate them, I have found them to be fine).
Secondly, what brand of DVD are you using? Maxell's are notorious for not working on Mac's for example.
Thirdly, what software are you using to burn with?

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

MBP and iMacs both use slot loading optical drives which seem to have a high failure rate. Just look through the threads. My money would be on the optical drive/s having failed.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
PhilFaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Firstly I would give the drives a clean out, either by blowing air into them, or with a disc based cleaner (though some people hate them, I have found them to be fine).
Secondly, what brand of DVD are you using? Maxell's are notorious for not working on Mac's for example.
Thirdly, what software are you using to burn with?
OK. Well, I've used the disk-based cleaner on the MacBook Pro as you suggested. Then I tried a Tesco DVD+R and an Imation DVD+RW with Disk Utility.

The DVD+R reported "Unable to burn ... (The burn failed becaused of a medium write error.)

The DVD-RW reported "Unable to burn ... (The disc drive didn't respond properly and can't recover or retry.)

I've still got to try the same DVDs on other drives / Macs (and other burning software) but that's the results so far...
QUOTE Thanks
PhilFaber

Just tested it on an external DVD burner (NEC DVD_RW ND-675A) (Same MacBook Pro using Disk Utility using the same DVD-RW; erased it (successfully) first then tried to burn. It burned ok but then error "Verifying the burned data failed.

An attempt to mount the burned disc fails.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Then I would say that your disc burners are shot, but for it to be all 3 is somewhat unlikely/unlucky.
As an experiment, try using a different disc burning utility.
Burn is a good choice, as it's free. Perhaps you have issues within disk utility, or the way you are using it (no offence meant btw). Both brands of disc you are using are fine, never had an issue with them.

Burn - Home

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
PhilFaber

Interesting update: I've just tried using DVD-Rs instead of DVD+R and they worked on both machines! Despite both machines apparently supporting both formats...

Stranger & stranger...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any Known issues with Macbook Pro SSD +MCE Optibay HD Upgrades? | my macbook unibody 13" got wet »