New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Mini DisplayPort Male To VGA Male Cable

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jalocher

jalocher is on a distinguished road

I have a MacBook (white, bought it in summer of 2009, software updates installed). I hooked it up to my TV using a cable I bought on Amazon.

This is the cable I bought:
Amazon.com: 6 Feet Mini DisplayPort Male to VGA Male Cable for MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air or devices utilizing mini Displayport: Electronics

The TV says "no signal" and the computer doesn't even acknowledge that it's connected. I have an Insignia 46" LED if that matters (not sure if it's only compatible with LCD and not LED--I don't know much about TVs).

I have spent 2 hours Googling various terms to try to fix this myself, but I can't seem to find anything that helps. Most suggest setting display to "mirror" but I can't get that far since the computer doesn't even recognize the connection to the TV.

I realize I probably sound technologically challenged, and I am when it comes to this specific issue. Please be patient. I would GREATLY appreciate any help you could give me! Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

If you gave us the proper nomenclature for your MacBook model.... then, the problem is that your MacBook uses a Mini DVI output port which means you need an adapter from the port to the correct cable. You can use either a VGA cable (not recommended) or DVI (recommended) to the TV. Without an adapter and the proper cable there will be no signal present nor will your MacBook even know that the TV is hooked up.

Hooking up a TV can be complicated so please read our Sticky "How to" which you can find at the top of our "Other Hardware Forum". It's rather long so I suggest taking time to read through all of it.
QUOTE Thanks
jalocher

jalocher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
If you gave us the proper nomenclature for your MacBook model.... then, the problem is that your MacBook uses a Mini DVI output port which means you need an adapter from the port to the correct cable. You can use either a VGA cable (not recommended) or DVI (recommended) to the TV. Without an adapter and the proper cable there will be no signal present nor will your MacBook even know that the TV is hooked up.

Hooking up a TV can be complicated so please read our Sticky "How to" which you can find at the top of our "Other Hardware Forum". It's rather long so I suggest taking time to read through all of it.

Thank you, I will check that post out. The cable plugs into my computer without an (apparent) issue, so I'm surprised it isn't working. Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Air + Photoshop Elements 10 + External HD | MacBook Pro 17" a1229 2007 - Lion - Keyboard Back Light LEDs- Some light others don't »