New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Air and Time Capsule

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jjs

jjs is on a distinguished road

Hi! I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I had a (dumb) question.

If I wanted to connect my Time Capsule and my MacBook Air without using the wireless function, what kind of cable should I use?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

USB Cable
QUOTE Thanks
jjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini_mi View Post
USB Cable
Err.. Care to clarify? There are different types of USB's...
QUOTE Thanks
microsnook

microsnook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13" 10.8 (latest)

Usb 2.0?
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

Well you haven't mentioned what model of MBA or Time Capsule you have. Either way USB 2.0 is backward compatible so it won't really matter. Basically, you connect a usb cable to the only usb port on your TC. Run it to a hub or directly to one of the USB ports on your MBA.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I have never heard of connecting an MBA (or any other Mac/PC) to a TC in this method. Aside from the fact that it wouldn't work, I'm not sure that such a cable exists. Typically, a wired connection between a Mac/PC and a router is made via ethernet cable. I've never owned a MBA, but I suspect that they are lacking a ethernet port. In that case, you are stuck with a wireless connection unless you purchase one of these (along with an ethernet cable).

Apple USB Ethernet Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)
QUOTE Thanks
jjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
I have never heard of connecting an MBA (or any other Mac/PC) to a TC in this method. Aside from the fact that it wouldn't work, I'm not sure that such a cable exists. Typically, a wired connection between a Mac/PC and a router is made via ethernet cable. I've never owned a MBA, but I suspect that they are lacking a ethernet port. In that case, you are stuck with a wireless connection unless you purchase one of these (along with an ethernet cable).

Apple USB Ethernet Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)
Ah, thanks so much! This helped a lot!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 5-point Pentalobe Screwdriver | MBP Slow Download »