New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Create Live USB for MacAir when using Public Wi-fi

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jhoomjhoom

jhoomjhoom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air / 1.86GHz / 2 GB / Version 10.6.2

I have a 4GB USB, and I cannot find instructions on how to create a live USB for Mac OS.

I know how to create live USB for Windows OS, but have failed to find instructions on how to do so for Mac OS.

Live USB will help me connect to public Wi-FI without exposing my Mac to hackers.

Is there a special way the USB needs to be formatted. I can even use the ISO from Ubuntu.

I'm concerned about using public Wi-Fi, even if it is from an establishment such as Starbucks.

Thanks,
jhoom jhoom
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I'm concerned about using public Wi-Fi, even if it is from an establishment such as Starbucks.
Why? Common sense would tell you that while on public WiFi make sure you don't access your bank's website or transmit any personal info such as your SSAN, Credit Card numbers, etc.

As long as you take precautions not to transmit any sensitive personal data and keep your firewall on, you'll be OK.
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

when it is disconnected from your computer and locked in a safe. I echo chscag's comments about never using your machine on a public wifi network to transmit or receive sensitive (especially financial) data.

Google that a bit and you find:

"Intel-based Macintosh computers have limitations when booting from USB devices while the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) firmware can recognize and boot from USB drives, it can only do this in EFI mode. When the firmware switches to "legacy" BIOS mode, it no longer recognizes USB drives. Non OSX systems may not be typically booted in EFI mode, notably Windows and Linux, and thus USB booting may be limited to supported hardware and software combinations, which can easily be booted via EFI[6]. This limitation could be fixed by either changing the Apple firmware to include a USB driver in BIOS mode, or changing the operating systems to remove the dependency on the BIOS."

To which I would add that 4 gig is awfully small!
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Public Wifi - pay attention to what you are doing and turn off any and all sharing. If someone wants in your box, and they have the know-how to begin with, the only way to keep them out is to disable the wireless connection.

Common sense and "constant vigilance" will be better at protecting your data than any "Live-OS USB."

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
jhoomjhoom

jhoomjhoom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air / 1.86GHz / 2 GB / Version 10.6.2

I usually check my email on Wi-fi, and I still do banking via postal mail and telephone.

Thanks,
jhoom jhoom
QUOTE Thanks
clark1547

clark1547 is on a distinguished road

I travel a lot and would like to be able to use my mac for bill paying, banking, email on public hotspots but don't as I am worried about the security issue. I have been looking at VPN. It looks like a possible solution, but I don't know. any thoughts? thanks- Clark
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

I would use neither method for bill paying, accessing bank accounts, and any other sensitive transaction. While traveling, always use an ethernet connection if available. Hotels and motels generally provide both wireless and ethernet.
QUOTE Thanks
clark1547

unfortunately the last 4-5 I hotels I used only had wifi, and poor wifi at that. cost more to maintain and install hardwire unfortunately, and it is all about the bottom line isn't it. and the vacation rentals we use also only have shared wifi. Clark
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

In that case, make sure all your personal transactions are taken care of before leaving home. I know that's not a very good solution but with today's hackers always looking to steal on line info, I would never take a chance transmitting any sensitive info in the clear.
QUOTE Thanks
clark1547

This sounds like a business opportunity to me- maybe I will do like the FBI does and hire a couple of 9 year old hackers to figure something out and make my next million! hahahaha-Clark
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Use a VPN and make sure that your firewall is on and you should be fine but do not do banking or sensitive info on public wifi. Some free VPN services that I use are https://www.getcloak.com/ and Hotspot Shield
QUOTE Thanks
clark1547

Thanks- I just got done installing Cloak and it seems to work fine. at least it will keep the honest people out! Clark
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« what i want in the 2012 macbook pro | I need help ;o »