New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

2008 Black Macbook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

phalanx

phalanx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Plus, IIcx, IIci, Centris 650, Supermac s900, Beige G3 minitower, iMac, eMac, iBook, BlackBook

Hello everybody. I am a senior in high school and I need to start thinking about getting a laptop for myself. I am thinking about buying a used 2008 Macbook with 2.4 ghz core 2 duo processor, and 4 gigs of ram. Is it worth saving $1000+ on the used mac, or should I go for a new Macbook Air? Does anybody own/has owned the 2008 Macbook and would suggest getting it? Thanks for the input.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If you are indication then consider checking out either the educational discount or looking at the apple store refurb area.

Education Pricing - Apple Store for Education - Apple Store (U.S.)

Refurbished Mac Computers - Refurbished Notebooks & Desktop Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

By the way, looks like you have a fair few macs from back in day there

I had a Supermac once - gave it away

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
phalanx

Mac Specs: Mac Plus, IIcx, IIci, Centris 650, Supermac s900, Beige G3 minitower, iMac, eMac, iBook, BlackBook

Well I think I only get $50 off for an education discount, and I can get the same model from the apple refurbished page for less on ebay. I figured for what I'm going to be using it for, the 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo will be more than suitable, especially since I can upgrade it to Lion. I found one on ebay for $400 with an external 250 gig hard drive.

Yeah my dad has always been into mac computers, and I've had the privilege of inheriting most of them. The Centris has always been my favorite for gaming: Marathon, Warcraft, Glider, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalanx View Post
I found one on ebay for $400 with an external 250 gig hard drive.
Now that is a MUCH better deal than paying $1000 for it as you originally mentioned. For that price, and if you feel comfortable with buying off Ebay, I'd say by all means go for it.

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I just purchased a Macbook with 4GB RAM. It's very good for most things and probably adequate for your usage.

$400 for a 2008 is a pretty good price for sure.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I just purchased a Macbook with 4GB RAM.
Finally retiring the old iBook Dennis?

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDude121 View Post
Finally retiring the old iBook Dennis?
The iBook will be my backup or if I am using the Macbook for a project and need another computer and not my iPad!

It still works like the day I bought it. It's nice though to have the Macbook with compatibility with the latest OS and Apps and also for Windows as I want to take it with me on service calls and only take ONE machine.

Got a great deal on it. Santa Rosa Macbook White, 4GB RaM and it's MINT. Not one crack. All DVD's and even apple stickers. $350.
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddict.

MacAddict. is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD

It depends on weather you want to replace the macbook on ebay in a year or 2. You could play it safe and get a new macbook and have it for the 7 years or so thats how old mine is and still counting. So its up to you i personally would get a new macbook it would prevent frustration.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

phalanx: I own a Black Macbook (typing on it right now in fact) and I love it to pieces BUT:

1. There's no way on this planet it's worth anything like $1,000. Not even half that.

2. The video chipset in these things is DEFINITELY the Achilles Heel. Don't plan on playing any kind of games other than the most casual. Even Google Earth is a challenge (though it does work).

The MBA is in EVERY conceivably way except hard drive space and Firewire ports a vastly better idea for $1K.
QUOTE Thanks
phalanx

Wow thanks for all the input! Well I indeed bought a 2008 Macbook, and will be receiving it January 13-20th. Free shipping, 30 day return policy. Decided I would try it out . Will let you know what I think-cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
JimboMac

JimboMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Which one?

I just received a 2008 Black Macbook for $350 with 500 GB hard drive, 4 GB and Lion. That little black Macbook is sweet.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboMac View Post
I just received a 2008 Black Macbook for $350 with 500 GB hard drive, 4 GB and Lion. That little black Macbook is sweet.
I know, they ARE!!
QUOTE Thanks
phalanx

I just got it today, it's everything I could have hoped for. Even came with Lion! Very pleased, thank you all for your advice.
QUOTE Thanks
DrEwTiMe42o

DrEwTiMe42o is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalanx View Post
I just got it today, it's everything I could have hoped for. Even came with Lion! Very pleased, thank you all for your advice.
Just wanted to say you will be happy with your purchase!! My friend has that exact model and its still thriving today lol! Only thing that may become a bottleneck for you is the graphics card since it has integrated memory usage and not its own RAM. Other then that the machine will be AWESOME for your first laptop purchase! Congrats!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« [2008 MBP] Computer unresponsive, possible overheat??? Need advice! | Late 2008 13" MacBook Unibody...Modern Enough For Newb? »