New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

i want to replace my 6month old macbook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

samowoman

samowoman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.3 GHz, 4gb ram, OS 10.6.8. iPhone 3g, iPad 16GB WiFi

hi.
i want to replace my macbook pro, because of the problems i'm experiencing for 6months. I attempted fixing it once (they replaced the motherboard). But problems continue. now i want to replace it with a new one, but i'm not sure if they will, because i've been using it for 6months. Any ideas?

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by samowoman View Post
hi.
i want to replace my macbook pro, because of the problems i'm experiencing for 6months. I attempted fixing it once (they replaced the motherboard). But problems continue. now i want to replace it with a new one, but i'm not sure if they will, because i've been using it for 6months. Any ideas?

Thank you.
If you're still having problems (and you have Applecare remaining...which you should if it was a new computer...you get 12 months of Applecare)...keep taking it back to Apple until it's fixed!!!

- Nick

p.s. If the problems are related to a liquid spill...then that's a totally different problem.

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
samowoman

i don't want to get it fixed, i fixed it once. they changed the motherboard. i want to replace it.?

there's no liquid spill, or drop / misuse etc. The problem was a damaging motherboard (not related with me). They changed it, but same problems started to occur again.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i don't want to get it fixed, i fixed it once. they changed the motherboard. i want to replace it.?
I understand that! But your initial post says that the problems continue. You really don't have any other option than to let Apple continue to fix it. If after a number of tries (not just once) Apple cannot fix the problem...sometimes they will replace it with a new unit.

Your only real option is to continue to let Apple attempt to fix it...until they give up (or it gets fixed). Your only other options are to:

- throw the computer in the trash & buy another one
- sell it on e-Bay for whatever cash you can get

Since those two options are not realistic...you have to continue working with Apple until they fix it or replace it.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What are the issues with the computer?
QUOTE Thanks
samowoman

slowness! (takes a minute or two, to open a photo in preview. can't shut down applications, i have to force quit everything)
graphical issues. (screen freezes)
loud noise, too much heat.

these were my problems before they changed the motherboard, but they started again, a month after i got it back from the service.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
slowness! (takes a minute or two, to open a photo in preview. can't shut down applications, i have to force quit everything)
graphical issues. (screen freezes)
loud noise, too much heat.

these were my problems before they changed the motherboard, but they started again, a month after i got it back from the service.
Those "problems" may not be hardware related...see the "Beachballs" link in my signature. Most of those problems (assuming there's not an actually hardware problem with the computer) can be eliminated via careful user practices.

How much ram do you have...and how full is your hard drive?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
samowoman

available: 343.69 GB

processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
available: 343.69 GB

processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Thanks for the info. With those specs. you should be fine.

Unless there's truly a hardware issue (Apple already looked at it once)...the problems you're experiencing I think can be solved via adjusting user habits (did you read the "Beachballs" link in my signature).

I would also add...that if user habits are the issue...getting another computer would not solve anything.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
samowoman

i never had any of these issues with my older mac (which i used for 6years). so i wouldn't think they're because of my using habits

i read the beachballs article.
for instance; the apps that are active now are safari, photoshop, itunes.
I'm a photo/video artist and while i was buying i was told that i can edit 3 movies in finalcut, edit pictures in photoshop, and surf the web while listening my music all together at the same time without any slowness. in fact the apple guy tried to convince me to buy 2.2Ghz, because i wont need 2.3
but now, i can't even import a photo to ps without a nervous breakdown!
i don't know what, but something is obviously wrong not related with me.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
I'm a photo/video artist and while i was buying i was told that i can edit 3 movies in final cut, edit pictures in photoshop, and surf the web while listening my music all together at the same time without any slowness. in fact the apple guy tried to convince me to buy 2.2Ghz, because i wont need 2.3
What you described above is some fairly heavy usage especially if all that is going on at the same time. After reading your reply, it's my opinion your machine is under-powered for what you're using it for. Result: Slowness.

The first thing to try is maxing out the memory in that machine. I believe your machine can take up to 8 GB (perhaps more, I would need the exact year and model number).
QUOTE Thanks
samowoman

MacBookPro8,2
version 10.6.8
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
i never had any of these issues with my older mac (which i used for 6years). so i wouldn't think they're because of my using habits
- What model Mac did you have before?
- What OS version were you running on it?
- How much ram did it have?
- Were you using this previous computer in exactly the same way as your new computer?

I'm just throwing out ideas/suggestions based on what I hear...so that all possibilities are considered. There really are only two possibilities for the problem:

1. There truly is a hardware problem with this computer (thus you MUST keep going back to Apple to fix it).
2. Certain user habits are causing the issues...and getting another computer will not resolve this.

If you feel that your MacBook Pro definitely has a hardware problem...you got to keep going back to Apple.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

I definitely agree with what "chscag" mentioned above...more ram may help with your situation ("Beachballs" link mentions this)...especially considering the photo/video apps. you're running.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Very heavy work indeed for a MacBook.

For use with photo and video editing, purchased a Quad Core Mac Pro with 16GB of memory. Pretty heavy stuff what you describe.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is everything indeed lost?!. | Is my Ibook G4 hard drive gone ? »