New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

How to clean outside aluminum shell of MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

I tried a dab of water and a washcloth to get some fingerprints off the outside aluminum shell on a new MacBook Pro, but it left a worse smudge. So what's the best way to clean it (specifically, the "lid" - where the glowing Apple logo is)?
QUOTE Thanks
jdbunton

jdbunton is on a distinguished road

what i do is i get a bit of nail varnish remover and a bit of toiler paper and rub onto the surface.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I would only use this method with EXTREME caution! Nail polish remover contains acetone (actually almost all acetone)...and acetone & plastic DO NOT mix. Get acetone on plastic...and you're looking for big cosmetic problems.

Although acetone will not harm the metal exterior of MacBook Pro's...it will react with the plastic Apple symbol/logo on the lid...and acetone will also react with any other sort of plastic surface/part on the computer. Acetone will "melt"/soften/dissolve plastics...and you don't want this.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I think rubbing alcohol would be a safer alternative...
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

Microfiber cloth and a spritz of your favorite glass cleaner. Same thing I do for the 27" monitor and the 15 and 11" screens on my MacBooks.

If you drag it through oil and grease or something equally heinous, a spritz of Krud Kutter and the microfiber.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You can use the same cleaner that works for automobile aluminum finishes. I use that and it works great. It's mild and cleans - polishes at the same time. Check in AutoZone or O'Reilly's for a bottle. Around $8.00 or $9.00.
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You can use the same cleaner that works for automobile aluminum finishes. I use that and it works great. It's mild and cleans - polishes at the same time. Check in AutoZone or O'Reilly's for a bottle. Around $8.00 or $9.00.
I got a jar of Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish and used some on a watermark on the lid of my MBP. After rubbing it in a circle for about 2 minutes, it did not turn black as directions said. Nervously, I just rubbed it off and it left a watermark-looking spot. Do you polish the entire lid or just spots?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I do the entire case. The same for the iMac - all along the aluminum bezel front and back. Works great. But take note, the stuff I use is a liquid not a wax, nor is it abrasive. The stuff you used probably needs to be buffed off and yes, you should do the entire case.
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I do the entire case. The same for the iMac - all along the aluminum bezel front and back. Works great. But take note, the stuff I use is a liquid not a wax, nor is it abrasive. The stuff you used probably needs to be buffed off and yes, you should do the entire case.
Oh, ok. So yours is a liquid comparable to like Windex? Because I found a bottle of polish, but it's the creamy kind and it says you have to buff out. When it wasn't turning black, I determined maybe it wasn't the right surface so if there's a different kind out there I'd like to try that.
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy

wheelguy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Get some iKlear Apple Polish. I bought a bottle and it lasted nearly five years!
http://www.klearscreen.com

If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm. -Vince Lombardi
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherid View Post
I got a jar of Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish and used some on a watermark on the lid of my MBP. After rubbing it in a circle for about 2 minutes, it did not turn black as directions said. Nervously, I just rubbed it off and it left a watermark-looking spot. Do you polish the entire lid or just spots?
Let me give you a bit of a warning. I would be very cautious doing what you mentioned doing with the "Mother's Aluminum Polish"...which was "rubbing in a circle for about 2 minutes!!!"

The MacBook Pro case/housing has a "brushed" aluminum finish. If you rub in a circle for too long in one spot...what you actually will start to do is reduce the amount of "brushed finish"...and start to make it smooth. Thus instead of "cleaning" your MBP (which seems to be the goal)...you will end up permanently modifying the metal finish of the MacBook Pro...leaving a spot that WON'T match the rest of the MBP's case.

If (what you mentioned) a "watermark-looking spot" has formed where you "rubbed in a circle for 2 minutes"...I'm afraid that you may have already permanently altered the exterior of your MBP...which may be worse than what you started with!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New RAM questions | Needing To Disable Built In Keyboard »