New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Is this Macbook worth fixing?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrboonmee

mrboonmee is on a distinguished road

Says Mfg '09.

Is this the port for the charger?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0496.JPG (1.64 MB, 42 views)
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Yes that is the charger port. It really depends on how much it's going to cost to replace, if the charging port is attached to the logic board then I would say probably not.

How in the world did that port get that corroded anyway?
QUOTE Thanks
mrboonmee

No idea really, my bosses daughter got a new one and gave me this. I would like to get it going if possible. Most likely take it to the Apple Store and see what they say.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboonmee View Post
No idea really, my bosses daughter got a new one and gave me this. I would like to get it going if possible. Most likely take it to the Apple Store and see what they say.

Thanks
Many MacBooks and MacBook Pro's have a separate I/O board (or Mag-Safe board) for the ports in the photo (including the Magsafe/power port).

If this model MacBook has a separate Magsafe board...it probably costs around $50-$75 used. Check e-Bay for the them.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mrboonmee

Looks like it might be the onboard type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg macbook_09.JPG (180.6 KB, 33 views)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Looks like it might be the onboard type.
It does look that way from that view. What is the exact model MacBook you have?...just in case things look differently on the other side of the logic board.

Update...I think that I found the answer (if I guessed at your MacBook Unibody's model correctly)...it does indeed have a separate "MagSafe" board! It is a bit different looking than MagSafe boards for previous model's. Here it is:

Looks like this:

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/...oard/IF160-034
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Magsaf...y-p-17374.html

...$49.95 from iFixit.com, or $34.95 from Powerbookmedic.com. Other places sell them as well.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
mrboonmee

Nice thanks!

From the Serial number I get:

MacBook 13.3"
Processor: 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo (P7550 or P8400)
Model #: A1342
Production: Oct 20, 2009 - May 18, 2010

It was definitely purchased in Dec '09

Says it's covered by Apple Care till Dec 2012. Wonder why I have something here that says "Declined Repair".

I will have to take the whole logic board out it looks like?

yikes..

Thanks again, nice people here. maybe i'll get rid of the PCs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg macbook09_2.JPG (83.2 KB, 30 views)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:

I will have to take the whole logic board out it looks like?
Here's the procedure:

Installing MacBook Unibody Model A1342 DC-In Board - iFixit

...it's a bit involved (but I've seen worse)...still better than having to buy a whole new computer!!! And the price of the replacement part is very reasonable!

If you decide to do it...DEFINITELY get yourself a "Spudger":

Apple APL9225065 Nylon Probe/Spudger Tool (Black... in stock at OWC

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Says it's covered by Apple Care till Dec 2012. Wonder why I have something here that says "Declined Repair".
Apple obviously saw the corrosion and assumed it was due to user negligence and declined repair since that is not covered under the warranty or Apple care.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
YIKES...not sure how I missed this "little" detail!...unless there was an edit of some sort.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Quote:

If I were you, I'd head right down to the nearest Apple Store and ask them to fix it. Some apple employees are nicer than others. Politely explain your situation, and they should repair it for you. I mean, you didn't spill anything into the charger port, right?

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks
mrboonmee

Thanks, going to try that. if not I might pay to have it fixed. I've worked on laptops before and that one part scares me: (Step 10 "Use the flat end of a spudger to pry the rear speaker connector up off the logic board. This connector is very delicate and easily broken."

Might just be worth it, I need one anyway to learn on, I really need to learn OSX etc.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Thanks, going to try that. if not I might pay to have it fixed. I've worked on laptops before and that one part scares me: (Step 10 "Use the flat end of a spudger to pry the rear speaker connector up off the logic board. This connector is very delicate and easily broken."

Might just be worth it, I need one anyway to learn on, I really need to learn OSX etc.
The secret with that speaker jack is just be careful and don't yank on the wire or put a lot of pressure side to side on the jack on the Logicboard. I have done it 100's of times and it's not that hard.

You don't want to put a lot of pull on the motherboards jack. That is why they are saying use the sponger to pry the speakers plug off the jack.
QUOTE Thanks
mrboonmee

I guess the Sponger is a must. I may attempt it. let's see what they want to fix it, or maybe drive up to Modesto on my day off.

Did I mention you guys are the greatest?

edit: ordered the sponger just in case.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
I guess the Sponger is a must. I may attempt it. let's see what they want to fix it, or maybe drive up to Modesto on my day off.

Did I mention you guys are the greatest?

edit: ordered the sponger just in case.

Where do you live? You know where Modesto is! Few do.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recover important word file i trashed and emptied? | Upgrading RAM in MBP »