New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Need advice/help with my mbp battery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

balaclavaman9

balaclavaman9 is on a distinguished road

Hey folks,

I have a MBP 15inch, that is 23 months old. The model is MacBookPro5, 4.

Last night I checked the health of my battery for the first time ever, and noticed:

"Cycle count: 735"
"Condition: check battery"

Is this very bad / something to be worried about? I think the limit is 1000. I don't even fully understand what "cycle count" means (I thought it meant powering up from flat battery - which I have only ever done a few times).

Any advice on how to get the most out of my battery and take proper care of it? Also, does the computer stop working once the battery is dead, or can you still use it as long as it is plugged in?

My current battery capacity is 4852 mAh. The design capacity was 6500mAh, and the battery seems fine, although it doesn't stay charged as long as it used to (meant to be 7 hours, but its more like 2-5 depending on what I do).

If it helps;
I sometimes leave my charger plugged in to the computer overnight even though it is fully charged
Most times though, I usually either turn it off if I wont use it for a while or keep it in stand by. I assume turning it off when not using would be the best for the battery?

Any help or advice would be great, and apologies for the long question!

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
theHunter

theHunter is on a distinguished road

This happened to me I believe it said "Service Battery" or something of the sort. I brought it into the Apple Store and they said I had to replace it. They told me though that to make it last longer I should charge it up and then use it until the charge is almost gone and then charge it up to the top again, it turns out I did exactly what you did (left it plugged in whenever I could) and it shortened the life span.

Also, it said "Service Battery" for a few months and the computer ran fine, up until my charger broke and I decided to bring it in.
QUOTE Thanks
balaclavaman9

Thanks for the reply.

Can anyone explain the whole "battery load cycles" thing?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaclavaman9 View Post
Last night I checked the health of my battery for the first time ever, and noticed:

"Cycle count: 735"
"Condition: check battery"

Is this very bad / something to be worried about? I think the limit is 1000.
You are correct about the 1000 cycle count "lifespan" of your notebooks battery...this is what Apple claims.

As far as the "check battery" message. I think that this "pops" up once the cycle count or remaining capacity hits a certain point. If everything is working normally...I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Of course eventually you will need a new battery...this will depend on how many minutes of total 100% charged battery runtime you can tolerate once the battery capacity gets really low.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
balaclavaman9

Ok thanks for the reply Pigoo3.

If/when my battery dies, will I still be able to use my MBP with the power chord plugged in?

Also, can you recommend a certain way of charging it to prolong its life?

eg.

• leaving it plugged in and fully charged all the time to avoid more load cycles - although could this weaken the battery charge?

or

• Should I charge it fully, then let it go completely flat and charge it fully again (and keep repeating)

?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Viewing contents on alternative screen | MacBook Pro Digital Audio Out to USB Audio In »