New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Im making the Switch from Windows to Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rogueace

rogueace is on a distinguished road

Hello, i am seriously considering making the switch from my Windows PC to a ibook 12.1 inch. please tell me what the drawbacks are if you have done this, and then tell me the advantages
QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

hondagus87 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: New MACBOOK

the only drawback I had when I switched, is that they don't make a 12 inch ibook with a superdrive, other than that, I am sooo happy I switched, I also have a macmini as well.
QUOTE Thanks
rogueace

are there any issues when you bring your files to the mac? cause i will need to transfer jpegs, differnet types of text files, most of them are Microsoft WOrd, and some are Word. And did you miss anything from windows? Last thing, can you play online games such as Halo and Battlefield 1942 against friends at LAN parties if the all have PCs?
QUOTE Thanks
jy106

I recently did the exact same thing, it's definately worth it!
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

you should check the spedcs for those specific games to see if there is a mac version. if there is, then you should be able to play against friends on PC's. Appleworks can usually open word and ms word documents. i would suggest buying MS Office for Mac. it is great. there are other alternatives to using MS for mac. JPG's and music files will move over flawlessly. if they are WMA though, then you will need to get WMP for mac which is terrible. i suggest you convert them to MP3 or another format. I have had my iBook for almost 9 months now and i still love it. i hate using my PC at home and i hate using PC's at work.

QUOTE Thanks
RChickenMan

Location: Blacksburg, VA - home of System X, making your powermac look like a child's toy since 2003
RChickenMan is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz

I recently did this, or at least, I tried to. After a month I ended up having to sell the iBook and go back to my PC. The reason I had to do this is because I am a computer engineering student, and computer usage is very prominent in my coursework, and unfortunately, it is all pc-based. I reached the conclusion that I do prefer working in OS X as opposed to windows, but for me, it just wanst feasable. So, basically, if you are using a computer completely on your own terms, than you should definately check out the Mac. However, if you are in a position where you are required to use certain software for certain things, it may just be more trouble than its worth.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

If you aren't sure about the switch, get a refurb iBook, if you don't like it you can sell it and not loose much money.
QUOTE Thanks
RChickenMan

Location: Blacksburg, VA - home of System X, making your powermac look like a child's toy since 2003
RChickenMan is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz

Or what I have suggested to many is to get one off of e-bay and sell it back if you don't like it. This is what I did, and I actually ended up making $100 to play with an iBook for a month!
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan

The only thing I will miss when I completely switch over from PC to Mac soon is Counter-Strike:Source, lol.
QUOTE Thanks
jn4jenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueace
are there any issues when you bring your files to the mac? cause i will need to transfer jpegs, differnet types of text files, most of them are Microsoft WOrd, and some are Word. And did you miss anything from windows? Last thing, can you play online games such as Halo and Battlefield 1942 against friends at LAN parties if the all have PCs?
If the only games you play happen to be available for Mac, this shouldn't give you too many headaches. However, serious gamers need to really think hard before switching to Mac. Macs just aren't designed for gaming, they don't always interface flawlessly with PC's over LAN, and if you really want to play games on a Mac then a Powerbook has far more graphics power than an iBook.

When I switched from PC to Mac, the files transferred flawlessly, except that the MS Office documents came through Read-Only since they were in PC format. All I had to do if I wanted to edit any of these documents was re-save them on the Mac, which was pretty minor for me.
QUOTE Thanks
rogueace

Im a casual gamer when it comes to comtuters, I don't care about graphics too much. Im a handheld gamer like NDS and PSP. So you could bring it to a friends house and play over an ethernet cable? Could you play through ad-hoc? - cause my freind also has a Mac and some games. And has anyone done this?
QUOTE Thanks
barryjr

Mac has the microsoft office suite app that you can purchase which includes Word, so that is not a problem (you can also open Word Documents in TextEdit or AppleWorks). JPEGS will open without an issue what so ever. Online gaming with both games mentioned above will work online playing your online PC buddies. I work on both PC and MAC and I do have to say the Tiger rips Windows XP Pro a new A-hole. It is way more efficient and dependable of an OS IMHO. The only reason I do work with PC's is because of 3d apps such as Maya, other than that I would not own one. The only things I miss from Windows XP is Virus Scanners, Spam blockers ect. ...ok not really LOL! - Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueace
QUOTE Thanks
Berman

advantages: spotlight, expose, no spyware, no viruses, no crashes, prettier os.
disadvantages: less available software

worth it? oh **** yes. i can't stand to use windows anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
DigitalN.

I love my iBook just because of dashboard. I can't count the number of times I've been on my PC and keep hitting F11 trying to record something or to check what is happening in the news
QUOTE Thanks
Jabjabs

Jabjabs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB

Quote:
I love my iBook just because of dashboard. I can't count the number of times I've been on my PC and keep hitting F11 trying to record something or to check what is happening in the news
YES! I know what you mean! The same goes for spotlight and espose.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgraded! | Bag/case for my iBook? »