New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Wont Read CDs after SSD Upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

blown240

blown240 is on a distinguished road

I have a late 09 15" Macbook Pro. Today I installed an OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD and 8gb of Crucial ram, I also disabled SMS and made it so the drives wouldnt go to sleep. Everything works REALLY fast and great except for some reason now when I put a CD in, the computer thinks its blank. Dvds work fine.

I booted off of my old drive just to see if its a SSD issue. It does the exact same thing booting form the original hard drive. Also I took the optical drive out and gave it a visual, double checked the connections too. I also tried to reenable SMS and that didnt make any difference. It all seems OK, but it still doesnt like CDs.

Seems odd that my drive would stop working at the exact same time that I change to an SSD.

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

When was the last time you popped a CD into the drive prior to the upgrade?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
blown240

It was probably a week ago or so. The main reason I upgraded to a SSD was because my HDD went bad and I kept having to reformat it. So I have been using CDs to reinstall all my software.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I would imagine it's just coincidental. The optical drive sits on a different channel on the SATA bus, so it's not like one would step on another. It's not uncommon for optical drives to stop working with one disc type, but work fine with another. There are multiple lasers used for different media types.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
blown240

Ahh I see. Well I guess I have a few options.

1. Buy a new internal optical dive
2. But an external optical drive - $29 at frys
3. Put my SSD in an enclosure and boot my Imac from it, then install what I need
4. Figure out how to make VMware see my Imac's optical drive and use it to install from the windows disc.
QUOTE Thanks
blown240

OK this is wierd!

With my new external drive installing a disc, the internal drive works. But it only works once the external is busy. Odd huh?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mini DVI to dual link vga splitter | Viewing contents on alternative screen »