New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP 2011 comes with no CDs in the box!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Eisa

Eisa is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I just bought MBP 13inch Late 2011, 2.4 GHz i5 with 4GB RAM.
I checked the box and it seems no CDs (I used to find two CDs; one for the OS another for Applications).

I went back to the store and they told me that all new MBPs come without CDs.

is it true?
FYI, I bought it from Jarir bookstore, Saudi Arabia.
QUOTE Thanks
MXG

MXG is on a distinguished road

No CDs when I opened mine the other day. I prefer it that way.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Lion does not come on CDs. Any problems use the Recovery Partition.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
lohp75

lohp75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Lion does not come on CDs. Any problems use the Recovery Partition.
yep, command+R while booting takes u to recovery.
QUOTE Thanks
bugatti1073

bugatti1073 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB

most laptops now come with a recovery partition or you have to make you own its so they spend less and make more
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Actually, you're both wrong. Reducing disks, also reduces waste and a lot of overhead. Reducing overhead drives prices down for us, the consumers. Aperture used to cost $200 when it was on disk, it is now $79. It also allows software makers to focus resources and set prices accordingly. For example, the old Final Cut Studio, was one big ol' program and it cost over $1000.

As it stands now, Final Cut Pro is under $500, but will likely have additional plugins to add, with added costs for those who desire or need them. I guess I could go on, but hopefully part of the point is taken.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
mythree

mythree is an unknown at this point

It is about the $$$ plain and simple.

Don't let any of these apple fanboys BS you, they want to take your money at every turn.
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

Andres87 will become famous soon enough

anyway you can download this to a usb to create a recovery "disk" if you ever need to reinstall your OS

Lion Recovery Disk Assistant
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres87 View Post
anyway you can download this to a usb to create a recovery "disk" if you ever need to reinstall your OS

Lion Recovery Disk Assistant
You certainly can, but you don't need to. I want to make sure everyone understands this, because there seems to be a lot of misconception about how Lion's recovery options work....

Yes, you can make a disc and that disc will make Lion installable on a clean hard drive that doesn't have the recovery partition.

But if you have an existing Lion install and want to do a clean install, your system drive will have a hidden recovery partition. Even if you erase the disk, the partition is still there.

If you haven't made the disc and have to replace your internal hard drive, newer Macs (the models that DO NOT ship with a recovery disc) have a mode known as "Internet Recovery", whereby they will connect to Apple's servers, download the needed data, build the recovery partition and do a clean install of the OS. This is time intensive (obviously), but it does give you the option to do a disc-less clean install.

Why does it matter? Why not just use the disc and call it a day? Very simple, using the recovery partition is a heck of a lot faster than having to burn the disc and subsequently waiting for the install to proceed from the disc. Your hard drive is several orders of magnitude faster than your optical drive.

And Andres, it has nothing to do with being a fanboy and everything to do with educating people who are set in their ways and making things more efficient.

As far as Apple's motive goes for eliminating the disc, there seems to be a lot of speculation that it somehow pads their bottom line. But for what they'll spend on bandwidth in relation to a $0.15 disc, I highly doubt that it's a cash cow for them. It's more likely due to the fact that they've been on a mission to eliminate ODDs from their lineup.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythree View Post

Don't let any of these apple fanboys BS you, they want to take your money at every turn.
Not so sure it's quite that cut and dry - nor is the term fanboy really relevant as far as I can see in this thread. The reality is - it's about progress. We used to have to buy disks for everything - I for one am thrilled that I can get most of my software as a download and the few programs that still require ordering a disk - tend not to get ordered because I , like many others - demand immediate gratification. Specifically regarding the OS, there used to be hundreds of threads about folks who can't find their disks - lost, didn't come with the Mac if it was a resell, etc etc - that was a problem that this approach eliminates.

It's just the natural evolution of things.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And heavens above Microsoft do this now also for their fans. Office, Windows 7 etc are just the start. All software and applications within three years will be by download with no DVDs in sight.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I noticed that when purchasing Windows 7 or Office from the Microsoft on line store that they're charging an additional $14.95 for the disks.
QUOTE Thanks
bugatti1073

bugatti1073 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythree View Post

Its the old double edge sword scenario. yes its cuts waste,mfr costs,shipment weight . But if they put it on the hdd you dont have to remember where you put the disk or keep it safe as its on your computer. The down side you have to be more tech savvy to find the option for every pro there is a con.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 13" MacBook display - no backlight | How long is your battery lasting on your 13" mid-2011 MacBook Air? »