New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

What is LSD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jack_cf

jack_cf is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2 GHz

And i dont mean the drug...

My MBP is getting very hot recently causing the fans to run at full speed constantly. This is when i am just browsing the internet with just chrome open. Not loading videos or image heavy pages.

I have opened 'activity monitor' and it is showing something called 'lsd' is taking up around 98% of the CPU. (see picture)

picutre

what is it? and how can i make the fans calm down?

Thanks in advance

Jack
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

19birel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz i5 13" MBP antiglare 16gb RAM 500gb HD OSX 10.9.x

Not exactly sure what LSD is, but have you tried to restart the computer? Alot of time that may fix the issue.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

Do you have Little Snitch installed ?

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

Never seen that one before... Is this every time that you're using Chrome? Or just the individual instance?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
Do you have Little Snitch installed ?

Cheers ... McBie
that'd be my observation as well.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
jack_cf

In the past i have had little snitch installed but not at the moment.

When the fan is going normal speed and i check activity monitor it doesnt seem to be doing anything.

picture

it gives me the option to quit it but i dont know whether it would do anything and if i did do it what would happen.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

LSD is the LittleSnitch daemon. If you don't have it installed anymore you didn't uninstall it right.
Look in /Library and see if there is a Little Snitch folder. If there is, delete it (after killing the process in Activity Monitor).

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

lsd is the Little Snitch daemon. It's still running (obviously) which may mean that it was uninstalled improperly. Reinstall it and use the uninstaller.

EDIT: cradom has quicker fingers than I!

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jack_cf

yeah turned out i didn't have little snitch uninstalled at all....

i have done that and taken the keyboard plate out and taken loads of fluff out of the thing the fan is trying to keep cool and it seems to be a lot happier. thanks people
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« hard drive functioning in other models? (emergency data retrieval) | liquid damage:ibook G4 won't stay in sleep mode when power cable connected »