New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Processor Speed vs. Longevity

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

beanunit

beanunit is on a distinguished road

I'm finally getting a new laptop. I'm currently on a Powerbook G4 and I'm ready to throw it out of a window.

I'm looking into getting a refurbished Macbook Pro and I'll be using it mainly for Graphic Design purposes.

I'm on a SUPER tight budget and what is going to determine whether or not I'll be eating Ramen for the next month is what processor I NEED (not want).

The refurb I'm looking at is currently 2.8Ghz DuoCore i7. It's around $250 more to get it with a 2.3Ghz Quad Core. I REALLY should not spend the extra money...but if it will give me several years more life I'll do it.

If it's only a year or two difference then I won't.

Can anyone advise what kind of difference I can expect?
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Personally - I'd stock up on Ramen noodles and get the quad core. The Duo core is probably just fine - but if it's choosing between a month's worth of Ramen (which really aren't that bad) or having to get the Duo Core - I'd take the noodles.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Theoretically, the quad core would get you longer life but the dual core is a solid processor. In fact, Apple still ships dual core processors in their 13" MBPs, MBAs and the Mac Mini. I would guess then that Apple plans to support dual core processors in some fashion for a few years (my four year old MB is still fully supported by Apple in terms of software compatibility). The choice is yours.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanunit View Post
I'm finally getting a new laptop. I'm currently on a Powerbook G4 and I'm ready to throw it out of a window.

I'm on a SUPER tight budget and what is going to determine whether or not I'll be eating Ramen for the next month is what processor I NEED (not want).

The refurb I'm looking at is currently 2.8Ghz DuoCore i7. It's around $250 more to get it with a 2.3Ghz Quad Core.
Five things to consider:

1. Either of the two MacBook Pro's you listed will be WAYYYY faster than your old Powerbook G4.

2. There's really no way to reliably predict how long a computer's usability or longevity will be based on the cpu speed.

3. Many software programs are not written to take full advantage of multiple cpu cores. So between the two choices you listed...the more expensive 2.8ghz dual-core system would be faster than the 2.3ghz quad-core. Now if you know that the software you will be using is written to take advantage of multiple cores...then get the quad-core computer.

4. With all of this said...and if money is as tight as you say...then I would say get the lower cost 2.3ghz quad core MacBook Pro...since it will still be TONS faster than your old Powerbook G4!

5. Finally...you could always consider a used MacBook Pro. This will save you LOTS of money vs. a new/refurbished computer. Since again...ANY MacBook Pro will be faster than your old Powerbook G4.

Just providing you with all possibilities for your consideration.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
beanunit

beanunit is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much, guys. This will certainly assist in helping me reach a decision!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Want Icloud but only getting MobileMe | Need Help Choosing - Air or Pro?? »