New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

buying questions...MBP vs.MBA

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jjack67

jjack67 is on a distinguished road

PC laptop finally crashed, thank God, have a iMac i5 and iPhones 4s.
Mainly use laptop for travel, emails, surfing web, etc.
which should I get?
What is the conventional wisdom regarding buying used or refurbished? Yes/no, craigslist ok?, what things to look for/test in buying used from an individual?
Thanks for all the help,
JJ
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

There is a little bit more to it than just saying "go get the Air or the Pro," but I will try to ask the write questions.

-Do you plan on carrying this anywhere, and carrying it by hand or in a briefcase/backpack?

-Do you watch a lot of physical media or listen to music on CDs?

-How big is your iTunes library?

-Do you plan on doing any creative work on this? Writing software/editing pictures/video production/etc...

-Do you have a budget that you would like to remain within?

-How long will you be without power and using the computer?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Only thing to add is refurbished from Apple's website is perfectly safe and really is same as new. You're taking chances with eBay and Craigslist. Shop at your own risk with those sites, no guarantees. My iPhone 4 and my wife's iPhone 4 are both refurbished from Apple and you'd never know.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
jjack67

jjack67 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the focus questions.

iTunes library about 15gb and growing.
Rarely watch or listen using cd's or dvd's but would like to download movies to watch.
Usually carry in briefcase or laptop bag.
Do not do heavy work on it, maybe edit photos or some minor home movie editing. Sometimes read large PDF files through emails if that is an issue.
Longest I would be with out power would be 5 to 6 hours.
Budget not fixed at this time.

Again, really appreciate your questions and answers.
JJ
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

upon your proposed use, I would suggest an Air. My 11" Air does everything you plan on doing, is small, light, easily carried, and has a long battery life - much longer than my MBP. I use either my MB Pro or my (gasp) Windows seven machine's optical drives on the rare occasion I need to, just remote disk via wifi. My 256 gig of storage is plenty but I can also share my seagate drive wirelessly if needed (movie and photo storage).

Just my two cents worth.

BUT, if I only had one then my 15" MBP would be my choice.
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

19birel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz i5 13" MBP antiglare 16gb RAM 500gb HD OSX 10.9.x

I'd say get the air because you don't really need the computing power of the Pro. And it has enough HDD space to be practical and can do all you listed without problem. If you go refurbished you should be able to find the 13" C2D version from apple for a little more than the base i5 11" if you want the bigger display for a lower price and don't mind the C2D (C2D is still fast though).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What SSD's are compatible with 2011 macbook pro | Question about macbook pro 2011 »